What harm does public data have to you? Couldn’t one just ignore the ads? You can’t see anyone watching you, is public data good for public records? (I’m just curious). I know this sounds weird but is public data good for historical preservation and knowledge increasing the importance of the individual? And does public data lead to better products?

• wsweg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Wow, I had never heard about the lavender scare until now. Just did a little bit of reading on it. Can’t say I’m surprised, just extremely disappointed.

• hoodatninja@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Check out Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles. It’s just two arcs of a comic book, you could knock it out in an afternoon if you really wanted to. It is absolutely breathtaking, but make no mistake, it is incredibly brutal at key moments. I revisit it every year or two around the commemoration of the stonewall riots. You will not be disappointed.

• deweydecibel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

You don’t even have to go that far back. It’s literally happening right now as red states seek to punish women who seek abortions.

• SevFTW@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

What was it? Kansas? That literally opened an anonymous report page for people who were trans or supported trans rights? What will they do with that data, is the question. Because they’re definitely not pushing HRT, therapy or counselling via ads.

• wsweg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Very true. The red scare was just the first thing to pop into my mind. Probably because I just saw Oppenheimer last weekend, lol