I am working with a neighborhood organization to improve tree canopy in my urban area. I got involved with my neighborhood association and another org in an effort to build and strengthen my community. I would love to take more action but I’m not sure what or how. Starting to see now that working together with people helps make us more resilient

• NataliePortland@thegarden.landOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I am working with a neighborhood organization to improve tree canopy in my urban area. I got involved with my neighborhood association and another org in an effort to build and strengthen my community. I would love to take more action but I’m not sure what or how. Starting to see now that working together with people helps make us more resilient.

I’m very interested in plants and growing food, which I think is valuable skill now and will only get more valuable. I would love to find ways to adapt agriculture to a shifting climate.

Another thing I’m doing which is simpler is some basic disaster preparedness. I have 20 gallons of water and a big box of non perishable food in my shed, and my wife and I have a plan of where to meet up in an emergency. It’s not “doomsday prepping” just a modest bit of preparation.

• Nouveau_Burnswick@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

On water preparedness:

If your storing tap water, it’s generally shelf stable for about 6 months, so don’t forget to cycle it out.

If you have a tanked water heater, you probably don’t need supplemental water supplies. A hot water tank provides 100-300 liters of water that circulates on its own. That’s a whole bunch of water you don’t need to worry about stagnating. This obviously assumes your water tank isn’t at risk (i.e. a basement tank is no good when your risk is flooding).

Otherwise I’d recommend water treatment tablets. That’s a whole lot more water with (almost) none of the storage space and a much longer self life. Again depends on area, that won’t help you in a desert.

• lettruthout@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

All good considerations for drinking water. I’ve also got 30 gallons stored for washing, etc. It gets cycled only every five years or so.

• NataliePortland@thegarden.landOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Oh that’s very good info about the water heater. So you’re saying that if my house lost power I could drink from that for 100-300 L? Good to know.

I knew about the 6 month cycle for water and I got tired of that chore so instead I just have unopened gallons. Those are fine, right?

• Nouveau_Burnswick@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yup, obviously no pressure if there’s a municipal water problem, but you should be able to use the drain.

I’m not sure what the shelf life is on prepackaged water; probably varies by the water contents and the container itself. The advantage of smaller containers is if one goes bad you don’t lose all your water.