link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

It depends on the question.

If the question seems to come from a place of genuine curiosity or if the person seems to be asking in good faith I usually try to answer the question to the best of my ability (and sometimes I might still try to answer even if its clear the person is not asking in good faith).

If the question is obviously coming from a place of bad faith or is obvious the person asking doesn’t actually want an answer, sometimes I will still try to answer but most of the time I won’t even bother.

If the question is accusatory in nature, I will obviously want to defend myself if I am innocent of the accusation.

• RightHandOfIkaros@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

I suppose I do have things to hide, but I don’t make an active attempt to try to hide anything I do or have.

EDIT: As I was writing this comment, you edited the question from “Do you have anything to hide?” to “Do you check the question for boobytraps?”

As a side note, this:

Do you have anything to hide?

is what I would consider a “bad faith question.” (And your post edit question is as well considering its original wording in context). This is a question that you are asking as an attempt to hit me with some “gotcha” moment. If I answer “No,” then you say I am being defensive. If I say “Yes,” then you say I am lying. I may be dumb but I wasn’t born yesterday.

You don’t actually want to know what things I have to hide if I had any, and you likely don’t care. A person would respect other’s privacy and not ask out of that principle anyways, even if you were curious.

• spiderwort@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

“Do you have anything to hide” is just crass. I wouldn’t have replied to it.

• spiderwort@lemm.eeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Or maybe it’s an example of a “gotcha question”, asked to introduce the subject of such. Because there is ambiguity there. Or maybe I’m feeling my way along and checking to see where your answers switch from “responsive” to “defensive”.

Some people straightman it to the death, so the line is hard to find. Which could be called defensive from the start.

99% of these conversations are you talking to yourself. I think that’s important to consider.

• RightHandOfIkaros@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Honestly, this just sounds like you are a pseudointellectual that thinks you’re much more intelligent than you actually are. I have had conversations with people that respond similarly to you, and this conversation has gone far enough for me to recognize that it will be a waste of my time. I don’t care what you do with your time, but I won’t allow you to waste more of mine than you already have.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

They’re a three day old account that’s clearly just here to troll. They’ll evade any actual discussion… so yeah - probably best to not waste any of your time.