• agent_flounder@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Given the trauma one endures as a result? It absolutely is.

Indoctrination is why they believe as a kid. Brainwashing is why they still do. It’s pretty disturbing looking at it after deconverting.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Reminded me of something that came across my RSS feeds the other day from a dev and podcaster who I like to follow:

I grew up as a “different” kid in a fundamentalist church. As a young child I had urges and thoughts that I constantly feared would send me to hell. When I wasn’t worried about my eternal soul, I was worried about my non-Christian friends and their eternal souls. By the time I was in Middle School I was drinking and trying to cope with what amounts to a constant fight or flight response, in addition to grief.

Being neurodivergent, queer, and highly sensitive was not a good combination for me in the church I grew up in. And I was taught to put all of my value, all credit for my successes, and all forms of attachment into God, not earthly things. So when I decided the church wasn’t good for me (or, in my mind, for anyone), I had the secondary trauma of leaving. Becoming emotionally estranged from my family, losing my Christian friends, and losing a god, the one thing that I had ever believed could save me.

There’s quite a bit more, but that’s the relevant bit.

https://brettterpstra.com/2023/07/30/personal-update-cptsd-edition/

• agent_flounder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I wished that their story was an isolated incident, but my best friend went through some similar things. And I relate to some of that as well.