i’m trying to improve the soil quality in my yard, it’s hard and clay-like and roots have a hard time going down below like 4 cm. i have cow patties, rice hulls, rinsed coco coir and some cardboard.

currently the plan has been to mix up the patties and rice hulls and bury that below ground (completed already), then mulch with the coir + hulls + patties, then finally cover with cardboard. the yard is small so not much cardboard involved. i’m growing cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and beans this year, they should have been in the ground already but i wanted to grow from seed and my cats got to the sprouts. so i gotta get new ones agony-acid

please tell me what i am missing or what i could do better.

• comrade_pibb [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

The secret to improving soil quality is typically “incorporate organic material”

Heavy clay that doesn’t drain? Add organic material

Sandy soil that doesn’t retain water? Add organic material

An overwintering crop like buckwheat can bust through heavy clay and you can till it in the spring for a boost of green manure

You’ll want to be careful to not work heavy clays too early while they’re still very wet, this can wreck the soil structure that You’ve been working so hard to improve by adding organic material

Raised beds can be an excellent solution as well

• meth_dragon [none/use name]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

i wanted to do a lasagna bed but shit went off the rails and now my yard is comprised of a poop/rice hull/clay slurry with some leaf compost here and there

i don’t believe this will be too much of an issue but i’m not 100 percent on this so i am asking here in case anyone has fucked up in a similar fashion and has any experience to contribute regarding tilling and mulching with almost 100% green material