• Tiltinyall@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

If you are online supporting the idea of withholding ones vote in order to advance a political agenda, you are enacting voter suppression. Layed out pretty simply for you.

• jarfil@beehaw.org
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Art thou talking about us, or is that a “generic you” like a “royal we”?

(because if thou are talking about me in particular, we hold no wish to keep up with thine baseless misplaced accusations)

• Phroon@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            3 months ago

You replied to jarfil with the words “this post”, it isn’t clear if “this post” refers to jarfil’s comment or to the article itself. Also, the use of “You” leads the reader to imply that the “You” is jarfil, rather than “You” meaning ‘anyone who tells someone to withhold their vote for a political stance’.

• jarfil@beehaw.org
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago

jarful

Please, no… 🤦

(rant)

I’ve kept this nick since back in the 1990s, when I had to spell it over the phone while creating an account, because client support said “Oh, like Garfield?” and I found it funny… since I also liked cats, the comic strip, hated Mondays, and loved lasagna… a couple decades later Google decided that “Did you mean: jar file”, and since becoming a brony, the full jar thing has become a very unfortunate coincidence. But I refuse to change it, I was there first!..

• jarfil@beehaw.org
            cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            3 months ago

No, I was being funny… but now I’ll be crystal clear:

• IF you were referring to a generic group, THEN say so and we’re fine, but you could have made it more clear.
            • IF you were accusing me of being a vote suppressionist, THEN explain precisely what lead you to that idea, and we can see where the misunderstanding came from.
            • ELSE, I will assume you’re not discussing in good faith (trolling as you say) and hit the block button.

No hard feelings. 🕊

• Zworf@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Withholding votes no, but IMO the American voting system (at least at a national level) seems pretty broken to me. FPTP, the weird bias to rural areas etc.

Really it should be changed so that it doesn’t always result in this eternal standoff between the two major parties.

Ireland, Australia and New Zealand dumped FPTP and were better for it. It’s just that the US has this kind of romantic idealism about the original founders, as if they were always right and their ideas still hold as much merit in this day and age of voter influencing through digital means, so I don’t really see it happening there. But it should, in my opinion.

Right now it seems like every major election is choosing between bad and worse there and voting for an outsider is just a lost vote.

In that sense I can understand the reluctance of voters to actually show up. Especially in states that aren’t swing states.