Title mostly says it all. I have a hardware wallet but the battery is toast and it only works when plugged in, and the buttons are a little sketchy at times, sometimes they work sometimes they don’t.

• R2DPru@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

If you’re asking this question, you already know the answer. Not your keys, not your coin.

Regardless of the state of your hardware wallet, you can always recover to a new one if you have your keys backed up.

• ǟɦɨʍֆǟ ɮʝօʀռ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

If you have your seed phrase stored somewhere safe you can restore to a new hardware wallet if you want. Generally speaking, one shouldn’t store all of their crypto in an exchange. Keep it as small as possible.

• CatZoomies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Are you okay with potentially losing access to your Bitcoin and it being controlled by an amoral corporation?

My recommendation is to custody it and use the hardware wallet to send and receive.

I recommend you set up a Watch-Only wallet like BlueWallet. Watch-Only wallets can see your balance and allow you to receive only, not send (unless you manually add the ability to send using your private key). The beauty of these types of wallets is that if your phone/device gets stolen or compromised, your seed isn’t there and no one can send from that wallet since it only receives. Thus, you won’t need your hardware wallet until it’s time to send Bitcoin from your wallet. If you DCA into Bitcoin, you can use the watch-only wallet to generate unlimited new receiving addresses.