• Corroded@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Here is how to do the same thing on Windows and Linux for those interested.

Windows

“canPlayMinecraft”: true,“ownsMinecraft”: true},“type”: “Offline”}],“formatVersion”: 3} > %appdata%/PrismLauncher/accounts.json

Linux

echo ‘{“accounts”: [{“entitlement”: {“canPlayMinecraft”: true,“ownsMinecraft”: true},“type”: “Offline”}],“formatVersion”: 3}’ > ~/.local/share/PrismLauncher/accounts.json

Flatpak

echo ‘{“accounts”: [{“entitlement”: {“canPlayMinecraft”: true,“ownsMinecraft”: true},“type”: “Offline”}],“formatVersion”: 3}’ > ~/.var/app/org.prismlauncher.PrismLauncher/data/PrismLauncher/accounts.json

https://rentry.co/freemc

It’s also possible to download the accounts.json file and transfer it into the directory. By the looks of it on MacOS the directory is $HOME/Library/Application Support/PrismLauncher/.

Edit: If you are using the portable Windows version you can place the accounts.json file in the root directory of the install.

• Corroded@leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Do you mean the accounts.json file that contains the following?

{“accounts”: [{“entitlement”: {“canPlayMinecraft”: true,“ownsMinecraft”: true},“type”: “Offline”}],“formatVersion”: 3}

If so, I used it a couple days ago with a portable Windows setup of Prism Launcher and it worked fine for me.

• MazonnaCara89@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I have tried many times to use it and it didn’t work either on windows or on linux, indeed the one I have on github changed 2 times from the one you currently are commenting

• FedFer@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

It doesn’t, it’s Foss. To play Minecraft though you still need to buy the game, this script makes the launcher think you have bought the game even if you haven’t.

• catloaf@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Why does that matter? I’m curious, I’ve never played Minecraft.

• WaterSword
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Prism launcher is just an open source replacement for minecraft’s official launcher. But you still need to have bought the game and be logged into your microsoft account through prism launcher to be able to install the game and play online. This script bypasses those systems of the launcher.

• Twerp10@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

If I’m understanding correctly, it’s for users who want to play Minecraft without paying for it, and who want to use the Prism launcher specifically.