“we’ve updated our privacy policy” starter pack

• getting innocent looking emails at nighttime
    screenshots of emails(only header shown, with statusbar showing 9pm) from reddit and discord
  • only lists ways in which they violate your privacy, legally
  • gigantic walls of text without a way to see before-after
    screenshots of privacy policy from docusign and tumblr
  • always about using data to sell, or rain AI
    screenshots of news articles of reddit selling data to Google; tumblr, docusign, and discord to use data to train AI models.
  • @poweruser@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    342 months ago

It’s also about making sure you can’t sue them, even if they did something wrong, even if they did it on purpose, even if they knew it was wrong when they did it.

Instead you must agree to “binding arbitration”, so that if you lose they get to learn what strategy works against customers, and if you win they get to learn what strategy doesn’t work against customers (but in any case the details cannot be shared with other customers).

Also, you can never participate in a class action suit, so even if they did do something wrong, on purpose, and you convinced a -judge- arbiter, you just get the $12 judgment, or whatever the value is of your actual damages. The corporation can keep the $12 they stole from each of their millions of other customers, who didn’t also start arbitration.

It is shocking that it is even legal

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      22 months ago

thanks for the insightful comment

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      32 months ago

it’s just the beginning

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      22 months ago

i don’t even use discord but still get those emails every year(I think someone accidentally made an account with my mail). it’s crazy that these companies update their privacy policies every year, refining and adding more convoluted clauses.

• Andrew
        link
        fedilink
        12 months ago

Lucky you! I have to use it, because that’s like the only platform where you can do a lot of stuff. But almost everything is implemented in a shitty way and I hate it. I wish Matrix (or Spacebar) became better and everyone started using them instead.

• @thepiguy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    72 months ago

“oh we think your privacy is worth nothing to us. So here, take this email with the bare minimum that we are legally required to provide. We would have never let you know of these changes if it was not legally required”