• MeanEYE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Which is why you shouldn’t do that. Dependency nightmare is a real problem many developers face. More to the point they impose it on you as well if you are by any reason forced to use their software. Well established libraries are gateway to this. People are getting out of their way to complicate lives to themselves and massive amount of others just so they could avoid writing a function or two. Biggest absurdity I like to point out to people is the existence of is-number NPM package, which does that. It has 2300 dependent projects on it!!! Manifest file for said package is bigger than the source. And the author had the hubris to “release it under MIT”. How can you claim copyright on num - num === 0?

On all the projects I manage I don’t allow new dependencies unless they are absolutely needed and can’t be easily re-implemented. And even then they’d have to be already in the Debian respository since it’s a good and easy way to ensure quick fixes and patching should it be needed. Sometimes alternative to what we wanted to use already is in repo, then we implement using different approach. We only have few Python modules that are not available in repo.

Managing project complexity is a hard thing and dependencies especially have a nasty habit of creeping up. I might be too rigid or old-school or whatever you want to call it, but hey at least we didn’t get our SSH keys stolen by NPM package.