• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Elon is doing more than most to showcase the failures of our systems and the downsides of billionaires

Thank you, comrade Elon

• wargreymon2023@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I was seriously considering twitter an option when he bought it, but thanks to his effort I am all in Fediverse.

• upstream@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I was never big on Twitter, I’m here thanks to Spez.

As much as I agree with the author, I’m also skeptical to bet against Musk.

On the other hand, Twitter is a mess he got himself into - not a project he actually pursued.

With that in mind I’ll give him (a very generous) 20-30% chance that X lives on to actually be a somewhat relevant platform of sorts and hasn’t gone belly up within the next two years.

Mostly because of the gravity Twitter had and the following that Musk has, not because the ideas seem like sound business concepts.

• thingsiplay@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

@Greenpepper I actually appreciate how Musk ruined Twitter. I was never fan of that service anyway. That means alternatives have a chance to grow. :-) Thank you Elon.

• TerabyteRex@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

If you removed the noise from the signal , the signal was very good. When twitter first started there was a great talk about finding survivors and infornation in an earthquake. it was a great tool for crowdsourcing event ands info. It later gave people closer access to companies and people. But, i do agree, there was a lot of noise. i hope the signal finds home on the fediverse with mastadon or whatever.

• brothershamus@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The problem was, and is, that Twitter was always a private for-profit company whose business model was tracking users and mining their private data. Yes, it could do good things, and in the hands of some of those opressive regimes it could do some bad things and in between it was built to do some skeezy things because that was how they attracted the venture capital.

Not to mention it was never innovative in what it was offering, there were and are many different avenues to connect people (that is the fundamental feature of the internet) it just created a platform that became popular for various reasons. Earthquake victims and rescuers, anti-government protestors and so on could always use Signal or another app for talking to each other - and should.

One of the real impacts of the cancer of Twitter came when journalists reached a critical mass and decided if something was tweeted about it counted as a primary source and they could write an article about it without having to get out of their chair. It was always lazy journalism and often totally irresponsible journalism and it’s no coincidence that the apex of Twitter journalism was the rise of an orange demented sociopathic rapist. All of which was part of the promise of a service that sold views and news by secret algorithm and cash.

• mobyduck648@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Twitter’s effect on politics at least in the UK has been pretty negative in my opinion, it drives journalists towards short-form hot takes rather than journalism.

• socsa@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Right. “Bumper sticker politics”

I’ve heard very few good ideas which can fit into 160 characters.

• upstream@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Advertisement has ruined journalism. Click-bait and light weight articles that lure people in to see as many ads as they can possibly cram between the lines and around the article, before they sell your reading patterns and digital fingerprint to the highest bidder.

Put words like Elon or Tesla in a headline and you get more clicks than if you didn’t. Bait the headline so people get curious and click in.

Make sure that you fill the top half of the page with generic text and copy-pasta so that you can show a few more ads before you actually come to the point of the article.

Use some AI to generate extra fluffiness or automate writing of sports and finance articles.

Social media certainly didn’t help, but when almost every news outlet wants to participate in the race to the bottom - a race to the bottom it is.

IMO the only way to fix it is a Time Machine. Every news paper linked here, or elsewhere, think they can sell me a subscription just because I followed a link or two. I live in Norway, I’m not going to subscribe to the New York Times just because they had an article I actually wanted to read.

It might not be perfect, but we need a system where journalists and media can be paid for creating quality content that people consume.

Not influencers who knows how to optimize the length of their YouTube videos to maximize income and minimize content.

Real deep journalism is dying. It’s a shame.

• thisbenzingring@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Interacting with someone famous was very cool. Asking a musician what something means and getting a reply and then a little back and forth… Twitter was an amazing thing for awhile.

• _thisdot@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Slightly misleading title. He failed at renaming Paypal to X last time. So this time he was technically successful in what failed last time.

• megopie@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

He’s stated he wants to make it in to an “everything” app/web sight, which to me implies a payment method, and given his attempt to cultivate crypto fans, I think it’s safe to say, he is in fact trying again to make “X” as a payment method work, I suppose he figures the issue last time was a shortage of mass adoption, and with twitters built in user base that’s less an issue now.

Obviously, there are to many glaring issues in this to count, but when has that ever bothered him?

• DavidDoesLemmy@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve worked in FinTech for a while and it’s one of those things that seems simple from the outside, but it’s fraught with complexity when you get to the details. Good luck Elon.