Diplomats say Putin’s brutalisation of Ukraine has brought back darkest memories of occupation under Stalin

Nato must be ready for Russia launching an “existential” war against the Baltic states “masked by a blizzard of disinformation”, ambassadors from the three countries have warned.

Writing exclusively for The Sunday Telegraph, the top diplomats to the UK from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania said that Russia could “pivot quickly” from Ukraine to invade the Baltic.

And they said that Vladimir Putin’s brutalisation of Ukraine is evoking the three countries’ “darkest memories” of occupation under Stalin.

The Estonian ambassador Viljar Lubi, the Latvian ambassador Ivita Burmistre, and Lithuania’s charge d’affaire Lina Zigmantaite, wrote the joint article to mark Friday’s 20 year anniversary of their countries acceding to Nato.

• Eggyhead@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I would venture to guess it’s because this time around might not have existed in the first place if Trump didn’t invest so much of his presidential attention to stroking Putin’s ego and having secret meetings with him in Helsinki.

But what do I know? I just wanted to tell you that you were doing more mental gymnastics than the other guy.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Wouldn’t have existed if Biden and the UK didn’t tell Zelensky to abort peace negotiations in 2022 because “they got Ukraine’s back” . Now we see they did not in fact “got Ukraine’s back”.

Biden is only on his knees for Netanyahu giving him as many Genocide bombs as possible.

• Eggyhead@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

You’re not wrong, but which came first, Biden & UK saying that stuff to Zelensky, or Trump getting cozy with Putin on Twitter, meeting with him privately in Helsinki, Russia’s election interference, and Trump’s insurrection attempt, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine? Maybe I’m just not clear on the timeline. Would you mind putting those in chronological order for me?

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

Putin invaded Ukraine because NATO tried to invite Ukraine which went against the deal with Russia.

Blaming that on the orange man who just slushed some cash away to mar-a-lago is saying a lot about how much the average Biden voter understands about Geopolitics

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

You know that’s a lie, and that makes you a propagandist supporting a genocidal dictator

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                3 months ago

Yes lies are often openly said in the news, that’s the point of lies.

But you know that’s not their actual reason.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  3 months ago

No it’s quite clear this is their actual reason. They offered a truce for it.

In any case since you’re so smart go tell Biden to send weapons to Ukraine. Since Biden is so committed to infinite war at least give the Ukrainians something more than a few sticks to fight with.

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    3 months ago

They did not. They pretended to offer a truce.

Actually it’s a reason they invented after the fact. The initial reason were supposed to be “Ukranian terror attacks in Russia” which were going to be false flags by Russia themselves, but UK and USA called them out on it in advance and then they invented different reasons. If they had a legitimate reason from the start it would have been the one they lead with when invading, and yet the did not.

They have lied and lied and lied, and additionally they have ALSO broken numerous ceasefires.

Putin personally want to restore old Russia, that’s the only reason for the war. He’s the one who can end it right away.

I’m not American, I don’t have any influence over that.

• Eggyhead@kbin.run
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Woah! NATO was invading Ukraine?? Are these the mental gymnastics I keep hearing about?

• Eggyhead@kbin.run
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

Ah my bad. It’s still early in my part of the world. So hadn’t Trump also been talking about NATO in a manner that kind of undermined its strength and encouraged an attack from Russia during his presidency as well?

• Eggyhead@kbin.run
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    3 months ago

I see. It was kind of Ukraine’s choice, but US and UK saying they’d have Ukraine’s back probably tipped the scales significantly. I understand why Putin wouldn’t want such a close neighbor being a NATO member, and preemptively laid claim to the territory and started a war that (surprise, surprise) US and UK don’t like financing. Still, I think Putin might not have been so bold if Trump wasn’t such a fanboy and there had been some actual repurcussions for Crimea under Obama.