• @TaTTe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Probably since it’s their equivalent of the latin e? In my understanding the Russian cyrillic e is pronounced “ye”, so э is closer to the latin e.

Note: I don’t speak Russian so anyone with more knowledge feel free to correct me.

Also: This is for Russian cyrillic, I believe in Ukrainian cyrillic for instance, it’s the other way around, so e is e and э is ye.

• @Lewo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          102 months ago

In Russian, pronunciation of Е depends on its placement. If preceded by a consonant, it’s pronounced like a “softer” Э. A bit like “bet” vs “bat” in US English. It’s only pronounced as “ye” if it’s the first letter of the word, or preceded by a vowel, soft sign (Ь) or hard sign (Ъ).

In Ukrainian, Є is similar to Russian Е, but it’s not modified if preceded by a consonant - in these cases it’s typically replaced by i. Ukrainian Е is indeed about the same as Russian Э. And Russian Ё is replaced by combinations ЙО or ЬО.

• Andrew
          link
          fedilink
          12 months ago

I would’ve translated it letter by letter (because it’s meaningless password), so it would’ve been е instead of э.