I don’t think people on this sub use it, but it’s great news for us. The worse it gets the likelier people move on.

• shortwavesurfer@monero.town
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Don’t get me wrong, I love matrix, but works like a charm is not how I would describe that. Element Just seems to make everything harder because you have to keep track of your session keys. That way if you have a new device and can’t use the previous device you don’t get locked out And then to top it off you have the export and import of end to end encrypted room keys which even for somebody like myself who is technical enough to manage it has managed to screw it up almost every time. I find something like session or SimpleX easier because you’re not having to manage keys like that. SimpleX has an actual database file export instead of key management and you need only remember the decryption key. Session of course uses session IDs with a neumonic seed phrase like crypto

• haui@lemmy.giftedmc.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Interesting concept! Element isnt my favorite client either but it has nothing to do with running or using matrix. Its like using an iphone and saying calling someone is very expensive.

The keys situation needs work though.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

I use fluffychat daily and it works well. The issue atm is that frequently changing devices, leaving and joining a lot of rooms can disrupt the experience. If you talk mostly on the same devices and in the same rooms there is no issue as far as I can tell.

As all FOSS software it needs work and people who want to put in that work. I wont help with element and synapse since the element folks want contributors to sign away their rights which I‘m not okay with.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

Oh, I don’t blame you for that. I just feel like Matrix in general is rather complicated for normal people. I like simple x a lot because all the keys are just in a database and the database is encrypted instead of having to remember the keys and session obviously only needs the mnemonic seed for restoration. Like, I can manage a cryptocurrency wallet absolutely fine, but there are a number of different times that I have lost access to encrypted chats on Matrix due to not getting the key situation right.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

Yeah, a lot of apps have interesting functions. Since matrix already has a lot of users and is somewhat integrated with the other services I‘ll stay with it.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  3 months ago

I use matrix daily, but i am fully aware that i could lose my chats and so its not my primary. That honor goes to Signal (well, actually molly).

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    3 months ago

Yeah, I still have a problem with signal. Maybe its because I dont understand how it works. I assume that your data is hosted somewhere since you need to be able to check in somewhere but maybe thats untrue. With matrix I know where my data is, I can look at it and delete it. Thats worth a lot to me.

But hey, everybody is different.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I actually havent tried if screensharing works but jitsi seems to work very well in there. Even the german government uses it so I suppose it might be able to do that.

• LWD@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

There’s a huge difference between streaming games and streaming PowerPoint slideshows

• LWD@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

Telling Discord users to switch to Matrix because “it works like a charm” is incorrect, considering how Discord is used.

“It’s tolerable if you can put up with the low bit rate and high latency” is more accurate.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Good question. Have you checked if there is an issue for it on github? Thats how we improve FOSS software.