I don’t think people on this sub use it, but it’s great news for us. The worse it gets the likelier people move on.

• atoro@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Speed was a big thing. Switching channels could take a few seconds to over a minute to load, on good hardware.

The biggest issue, and a huge glaring oversight imo, is that users can create their own channels, encrypt them, and instance owners have no way to know what goes on in there. Some of the channel names alone were enough to make your skin crawl.

Oh, and you want to ban somebody? Cool, just ban them individually from every channel, because there is no global instance-wide ban. Moderation is horrendous.

• ninchuka@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

did you host your own matrix homeserver or use matrix.org? that can change how fast it feels massively and yeah built in moderation tools are pretty much nonexistant https://github.com/the-draupnir-project/Draupnir is the only moderation bot that you can run to ban users from all rooms at once if they break your rules and lets you subscribe to banlists so if a user spams in other rooms that have write access and gets added they’ll be banned from your rooms as well

• atoro@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Hosted my own, was basically trying to move a large group off telegram and onto my own servers.

I did use Mjolnir for a while, but that was a hassle in and of itself as well. Nothing was intuitive.