• JimmieJam@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Yes, because bullying and shitty human behavior and mental health crises happen everywhere.

The big difference to take away from this incident is that this shooter had a handgun and there were “only” (still a fucking horror) a few people shot, vs in America where the shooter has body armor and assault rifles and dozens of people get shot.

• wahming@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Yeah, bullying sucks. The shooter was as much a victim of the situation as any of the others.

• PlutoniumAcid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

“as much a victim” as a dead child? Hard no.

Yes bullying is wrong, yes being bullied is bad, but killing is worse.

• wahming@monyet.cc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

I’m not about to blame a 12 year old for their actions. Life as a bullied kid can really, really suck. Depression and suicide are common effects of bullying, and as a kid you just don’t have the knowledge of how to deal with it.

If you bully / mentally abuse somebody to the point that they commit suicide, my opinion is that you are just as culpable as if you had murdered them yourself. By that standard, I don’t see much difference if the victim decides to lash out and take their bully with them. Especially if you’re a kid with no long term perspective. If you’re in that situation as a kid, you’re a victim and the system has failed you.

• eatthecake@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

Maybe if the 12 year old bully had been held responsible for his behaviour then none of this would have happened. But you can blame a 12 year old for their actions, right?

• wahming@monyet.cc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

I know you’re being sarcastic, but I actually do agree. It was on the adults to make the situation better, not expect kids to be empathetic enough to not bully others

• eatthecake@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

If kids can’t be expected to not bully others then what can the adults do? If a child bears no responsibility for their behaviour then how do you get them to change? I really don’t understand.

• wahming@monyet.cc
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

Educate the bully, punish the bully, remove opportunities for the bullying, whatever your preferred method. The onus is on the adults to prevent or put a stop to the bullying. The fact that things escalated as much as they did means that none of them stepped in, and that failure is on them.

• awwwyissss@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Bullying kills more through suicide than shooters killing bullys with guns.

It should never happen, but I don’t have much pity when a truly abusive bully gets removed from the gene pool.