• cmnybo
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I haven’t used Opera since they switched from their own engine to chrome. They are now owned by a Chinese company, so it probably has at least as much tracking built into it as Google Chrome now.

• coolmojo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Have a look at Otter browser It aims to replicate the old interface. It is using QtWebEngine as Presto was closed source. It is in development since 10 years now. And it is open source.

• coolmojo@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

Qt WebEngine uses code from the Chromium project. However, it is not containing all of Chrome/Chromium: Binary files are stripped out Auxiliary services that talk to Google platforms are stripped out, Source

• baduhai@sopuli.xyz
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  3 months ago

While that’s one of the reasons I don’t want to use chromium, it’s not actually the main reason, if so I’d just use Ungoogled Chromium. I just want more web engines, and I dont want google to monopolise the internet.

• coolmojo@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    3 months ago

It is super hard to create a new web engine, especially when one company is influencing the web standards and most web developers are only testing against that because of market share. This is why we ended up with four active web engines. In alphabetical order: Blink, Gecko, Goanna, WebKit. Obviously some are related: WebKit started out as the fork of KDE’s KHTML and Blink is the fork of WebKit. Goanna is the fork of the Unified XUL Platform that was forked from Mozilla’s Gecko.

• rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I used Fifth a bit, which is something aesthetically similar to old Opera made with fltk and a webkit port to fltk. But it’s abandoned now.

It’s so sad really, when I was a Windows user, it was Opera, when I moved to Linux, it was again Opera, then I also started using Conkeror (based on XULRunner).

Then Opera died. Then XULRunner died. No usable web browser anymore.