Hey folks. My name is Tymon Brown - up until March of last year, I was the director of video production for The Gravel Institute, which was a lefty thinktank making educational videos on YouTube.

I got suddenly laid off in March of 2022, and since then GI has stopped making content, which I’m pretty in the dark about. But I’m working on building a new channel with some other former colleagues from GI, and we’ll be going into production soon.

I’ll share our first video when it’s ready. Anyone have a good recommendation on the most appropriate community here to share that kind of thing?

Hope y’all have a nice day.

• Alunya𝕏ers (she/her)@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Well, I didn’t expect someone big to make an account here. Welcome to the 'Grad! I was wondering what happened to the Gravel Institute for a while now. I thought it started off to counter PragerU but it seem to have gotten inactive all of a sudden; while PragerU is still out there flooding the internet with more and more reich-wing nonsense.

I’m looking forward to this new channel you and the other former Gravel Institute members will be making! In the meantime, I hope you’ll enjoy your time with us!

• ImOnADiet [he/him]@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Damn welcome! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person actually using their name here for fear of doxing (or the state if you’re particularly paranoid), but I guess that doesn’t matter much to you if your name is already publically associated with GI lol

Hope you enjoy your time here stalin heart hands

Edit: oh sorry forgot to answer the comm question, you could post it to !breadtube@lemmygrad.ml and !breadtube@lemmy.world

• TarkovSurvivor@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Can you spill the tea? Iirc GI made some fairly based videos that were removed after radlibs/pseudolefties called you guys tankies.

• tymon@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Unfortunately I’m not privy to a lot of the details that went on behind the scenes - the Gravel teens (the three kids who ran the show) kept me in the dark about a lot of the inner workings, despite the fact that I was heading production.

The China video we did got pulled briefly because the presenter was being wildly harassed online by a bunch of right-wing footsoldiers, and the Ukraine vid got pulled because our timing could not have been worse. I think the Ukraine vid was a major factor in the channel collapsing, but that’s an educated guess.

Ultimately, it was a major disappointment, and the fact that they went radio silent since June of 2022 is… upsetting. However, my other former-and-now-current colleagues from Gravel are amazing people, and we’re working to build a strong channel that will function similarly to Gravel, but with a transparent structure, horizontal hierarchy, and less reliance on strictly historical videos and instead more praxis-based ideas.

• aidnic@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Good to have more content creators like you guys, especially with the rise of right wing influencers it’s very good to have a counter to them. And, of course, there is the whole opportunity to make high quality leftist content to push to the many. Very excited to see the product of this. And to answer your question, just like with the others, there is a breadtube community here and in world you can post your content to.

• NothingButBits@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

How about you create a new community based on your new channel? Otherwise c/genzedong or c/communism are fine for general discussions.