I’m autistic. This problem shows up for me all over the place, to the point that I typically don’t recommend reading anymore except when strictly necessary. However, it is showing up now because I’m working with people on a project (and generally everyone I have worked with at school so far) who will not read, particularly documentation for tools and programs, data sheets, and application notes. How do I get people “up to speed” if they refuse to read the things I send them?

Some concepts are simply too complex or too lengthy for me to explain correctly in a real conversation. It’s really the fact that nobody seems to want to read in any field of endeavor suggests that it’s something wrong with me and how I perceive things.

• slazer2au@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

How do I get people “up to speed” if they refuse to read the things I send them?

You dont. Honestly unless you are their manager or lead you can’t really make them do anything that helps them.

Disconnect yourself from their lack of self help by reminding yourself that, This is not your circus and they are not your monkeys.

• Treczoks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Exactly that. I’ve got the same problem here. I’ve got my side of the project well-documented, but the head PC software guy often phones me out of the blue, asking me questions that have long been documented.

Luckily, I can tell him (on most questions) that the information he looks for is so old that I don’t have it present anymore, and would have to read my own documentation to get him the answer, so he could do it himself…