• woelkchen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Does SteamOS count as Linux?

Why wouldn’t an Arch branch not be Linux?

How about Android?

Completely irrelevant because Steam games don’t run on Android.

• WorseDoughnut 🍩@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The Android and iOS apps don’t actually run games, they’re essentially just the store and community tabs + SteamGuard. The hardware survey explicitly exists to tally up what kinds of hardware is actually being used to play games on Steam, so that’s why it’s not counted.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’d say it counts as general user base, but does not count towards the Steam survey.

If Android share counts towards Linux gaming in general, then I think “Linux” as a whole (not necessarily versions or derivatives of Linux that users have the choice to install on their device themselves, however) wins handily. That’s because billions of people are all playing Clash of Legends of Heroes of Genshin Tower Puzzle Blocks Crash Deluxe, or whatever the fuck, on their Android phones.

• owf@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Why wouldn’t an Arch branch not be Linux?

Because it’s Valve’s own OS. They might consider being first-party sufficient reason to not to lump it in with its third-party cousins.

• berg@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s based upon the well established distro Arch, and thus still considered Linux. A distro is basically the Linux kernel with pre-installed packages. SteamOS only adds another layer of packages unto Arch afaik.

• owf@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Yes, I know how Linux works.

The poster above asked for a reason why steamOS might be considered separately to other sisters, and I gave them a possible one.

• berg@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

The terminology is off then. Different distro’s is not regarded as entirely new OS’s, they’re still Linux. E.g. SteamOS (if anything) is Steam’s distro, not Steam’s OS. I’m not trying to nitpick, only explain.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Because it’s Valve’s own OS.

Still a regular GNU/Linux distribution. Even entertaining the idea it being anything else is ridiculous.

• owf@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Even entertaining the idea it being anything else is ridiculous.

It’s their own OS running on their own custom handheld. Treating it separately from other linux machines might be odd, but calling it “ridiculous” is being childish.