For context, I’m on an iPhone using Firefox. I can’t use uBlock Origin, but am ready to block on the DNS level after this.

• Sunny' 🌻@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

You can still block ads on a DNS level. Simply add, base.dns.mullvad.net as your primary DNS Server and that should do you a lot of good just there. I’m sure there are additional steps one could take as an iPhone user though.

• oktoberpaard@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

It is, though. Safari has native support for 3rd party adblockers, it’s just that many people don’t know. AdGuard is one of the good options. Safari is doing the actual blocking for the most part (the extension just hands over the filterlists), but nowadays some of the adblockers include an optional extension that applies some rules for complex ads that are not supported by the Apple API, such as on YouTube. As an end user you just have to install and enable the adblocker.

Then there are also other browsers available with built-in adblockers. Admittedly those are all limited in some ways because they’re forced to use the same browser engine (outside of the EU), but they are very effective at blocking ads.

• SuperSpruce@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I’ve used AdBlock Plus or Brave Browser on iOS, is this better for security on a sketchy site I might accidentally encounter?

• BorgDrone@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

How is that not easy? Just install an adblocker from the App Store, there are plenty of options.

• reddig33@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Magic Lasso. Ghostery. Both decent ad blockers for iOS.

And if you’re using the built in web browser, there’s reader mode that gets rid of most of this crap.

• kate@lemmy.uhhoh.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I use AdGuard pro it makes a local VPN to block ads similar to blokada or dns66 on android

• fahfahfahfah@lemmy.billiam.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Not real FF. iOS forces all mobile browsers to use safari under the hood, though that was just made illegal in the EU, so there’s changes coming.

• GloriousGherkins@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

I’m using Firefox in the picture. Add-ons aren’t allowed on iOS though, otherwise I would have all of these blocked.

• SKBo@lu.skbo.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Orion allows you to install extensions. It works so-so, but that’s a first step.

• harrys_balzac@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I’ve used this for several months and just switched to Mullvad DNS. It blocked ads on pretty much everything. Between that, using a VPN, and uBlock on Firefox, my mobile browsing experience is pretty nice.