• GissaMittJobb@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I’ve heard it said that the boiling point of water is 100 °C, and the boiling point of milk is the moment you look away for a second.

• Ms. ArmoredThirteen@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

One of the many things I’ve learned from experience. The mess it can make in just a few seconds is incredible. I got laughed at by the chef I was living with x.x

• RBWells@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

The broiler in the oven is like this. Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, toasted, BURNED.

• redline23@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

A trick you can do to give you a few seconds is put some forks out knives in an X over the top. It might help prevent it from immediately going into the fire.

• olosta@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

“lait” not “lair” but that’s look like an autocorrect mistake. The correct phrase would be close : “j’ai du lait sur le feu”.

I never worked in a kitchen, but an announcement would probably just be : “lait sur le feu”.

And last thing, the expression as more to do with watching closely than being busy. Watch something like milk on the stove.

• Zorg@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

The milk will still be burnt, regardless of if the spoon stops it from bubbling out of the pot.

• iAvicenna@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

In the initial wave it will more likely be a bit caramelized at the bottom which if scraped gives a very good taste to desserts

• AVincentInSpace@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

making scrambled eggs

time between turning the burner on and eggs starting to set up: 2 minutes

time between eggs starting to set up and eggs becoming disgustingly dry: 20 seconds tops

• zaphod@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Calling bullshit, I can only find “surveiller comme le lait sur le feu” which means to keep a close eye on something.

• 7heo@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Nope, it is real. It is slang, but real. The actual phrasing is “avoir du lait sur le feu”. As in “Allez! J’ai du lait sur le feu!”. But it is rather outdated.

• lustyargonian@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Europeans and their disdain for microwaves.

Edit: lol it’s a joke, and the downvotes only prove it :p

I boil milk in a microwave after finding the perfect timing for my microwave. It is 10s away from boiling, and then I pay attention for the last 10s.