• PrefersAwkward@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Using swap isn’t always a sign you need more RAM. Typically, if you use a computer for a while or have a lot of IO operations going on, Linux will decide to swap some things to make more room for cache.

Sometimes Linux just finds that you have a bunch of inactive app memory and it can swap that out to cache way more stuff. That’s just good memory management, but it’s not worth buying more RAM over

• ricecake@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

That’s totally fair. Most of my “caring about swap” time is when I was managing servers, and so you wouldn’t have inactive apps to get swapped out, thus swap usage was a sign that you needed to get a new server and put down the old one.

Turns out I don’t monitor my home computer the way I monitor the work ones. :)

• ManniSturgis@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

This. Also most of what you read online about swap is just plain wrong. Tons of people will tell you to reduce swappiness to 1 or just to not use swap at all. It’s crazy how many people have no idea about how it actually works. I do include myself here. I just use a large zram disk so systemd-oom won’t get tripped when 3d rendering. That’s all I need to know.