Someone posted this over on Reddit right when it happened and I apparently saved it. I’m cleaning out my bookmarks and came across it. I hought you’d like to see why it’s good news that we found Lemmy.

Edit: I took a screenshot in case it gets deleted.

• betheydocrime@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

One of the main reasons people come to Reddit is to be informed by discussions they’re interested in, creating an environment of active discovery ripe for brands to show up and add value. Contextual Keyword Targeting places advertisers at the center of this journey, and at the heart of active conversations taking place, giving them the option to select specific keywords to associate with their brand, or even align keywords with their creative ad copy for added relevance. With so much direct traffic to Reddit conversation threads originating from high intent organic searches or research sessions, Contextual Keyword Targeting unlocks value for advertisers during and after discussions unfold, since we know Reddit threads live on as valuable, searchable resources for our users.

I threw up in my mouth reading this. I don’t think any community would enjoy being described as “an environment of active discovery ripe for brands to show up and add value”.

If you’re like me and haven’t deleted old reddit comments because of the valuable information they can give other people, now may be the time to reconsider. Being able to advertise on discussions that have already happened is one of the sales pitches Reddit makes to prospective advertisers.

• amos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

They mentioned Ally Financial as one of the success cases so I did a quick search for recent posts about Ally and sure enough the very first result from outside their own sub has this user contributing to the conversation:

https://www.reddit.com/user/robbiedavissie

Somebody posts a question about Ally and this 11 minute old account comes along pitching all of Ally Bank’s features. Then a week later they’re making 3 posts in a row advertising some other brand.

Super sketch.

• eggmasterflex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

There’s a ton of these accounts. They gather karma with scripts that randomly repost top 100 all time posts on big subs and then delete them so their account looks clean. Then they sell it to ad companies that post client sanctioned posts and comments and get paid based on user engagement with the brand.

Check out r/hailcorporate. A huge portion of Reddit is just guerrilla advertising.

• amos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

They didn’t even do that though. It was an absolutely brand new 1 karma account that somehow mysteriously didn’t get automodded to hell. Account created 09:00:27 UTC, then Ally Bank comment at 09:11:37 UTC

• Brian_Damage@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

They also do it by copying text from comments that are getting upvoted in the same thread and then reposting it higher in the thread so it gets random upvotes. Caught the copy-bots doing it a bunch of times, got tired of reporting them since the reddit admins obviously weren’t interested in combatting the problem even if local moderators were (and I suspect they were in fact helping it along because it aligns with their goals for Reddit).

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

At least they’re really not good at it? That was so obviously an AI or pre-written.

“Hey there Reddit fan!”

Who would talk like that? lol

• Paradox@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Hey there skin haver! Do you hate it when your skin or exoskeleton get dry and or crusty? Then try new Aveeno skin/carapace wax

• Ktheone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The amount of buzzwords just to say “advertisers are a greater priority for us than our users” holy shit

• NounsAndWords@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The use of all the buzzwords actually works to show the advertisers in question that they understand what they’re doing and, in this case somewhat literally, that they “speak their language.”

• PoliticalAgitator@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Reddit’s recent monetisation schemes can all be summed up as “demanding a cut from people profiting off the site” and this is just more of that. They’ve done absolutely nothing to prevent astro-turfing and manipulation, now they’re just going to offer it as a service.

• Instigate@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Advertisers definitely want to be at the centre of your experience!

Continuing the trend, I also had to stifle my vomit while typing this out.

• The dogspaw @midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m so glad people like you are choosing to bootstrap the community’s they want to see instead of just hoping mods invested in there existing community’s decided to come over and working to try and connect with the people already on lemmy instead of just begging the people on reddit until the mods ban them for spamming

• Excrubulent@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I wish there was an easy way to archive my old reddit comments. Anything older than 1000 comments seems impossible to access even though I made them.

• liara@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You could do a data request, that should be everything they have on you

• darmabum@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I did that when the API fees were first announced, and it took a couple of weeks for them to respond, but I got a full text file of my comments and posts.

• Excrubulent@slrpnk.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Oh thanks, I’ve just done that. I wrote a LOT of stuff in my time. I always thought it’d be good to look back and see how my positions changed and how I felt about my old thoughts. It was pretty annoying not to have a way to go back and actually read my stuff, even though they’re still hosting them and profiting off of them.

I’ll be honest most of it is anarchist propaganda so I’m in two minds as to whether or not to remove it. I’ll definitely get rid of the fun games stuff I posted and find a place here for it.

• Phen@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Even without the gdpr, if you wait a couple days after deleting that first 1000 you’ll start seeing older comments again.

Of course it’s not ideal, just pointing it out.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Same, we’re all prostitutes for Reddit in the end.

TBH, they’re already doing it a little here, but at least we’re not being sold to the highest bidder by Reddit. Here, they get ignored and/or downvoted.