It’s a significant reversal from recent history: President Joe Biden is struggling with young voters but performing better than most Democrats with older ones.

• Omega@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I agree in theory. But here’s the problem. We need to pressure the public first. Otherwise it’s a lose-lose for Biden. We need the public to demand it like they demanded Ukraine support. Not just from the activists and progressives, but from the centrists and low-information voters. If you don’t do that, then his best bet is to keep supporting Israel like it’s a surrogate country.

• AWistfulNihilist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Who’s we and who’s the public? We are the public. The public is reasonably split on Ukraine funding as they are on Israel being a genocide. Just along different lines.

No one agrees on any of this and that’s part of the problem.

• Omega@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

“We” is the people who view the situation as genocide. The public is the majority, specifically centrists/moderates/low information voters. Ukraine had overwhelming support from from “the public”. That’s who you have to convince.

And yes, I agree that is part of the problem.

• AWistfulNihilist@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I would say currently the majority does agree that Israel is engaging in genocide or near genocide behavior at this point, at least in the US. The actions of Israel are doing amazing work of convincing people at the very least.