Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid!

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post, thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)
Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

• gerikson@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Because I am a glutton for punishment I found the unrolled thread here (via HN but they donā€™t have anything to say apart from complaining you have to be logged on to Twitter to read it).

All Iā€™m gonna say is that if youā€™re coming after me with a thesis about the Fall of the West, youā€™d better not have apostrophes in your possessive its.

edit I read the first few tweets and it sure seems like this dude is mad Civ is no longer the realization of the core ideas of Mein Kampf.

• YourNetworkIsHaunted@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      3 months ago

Which is kind of funny to me because compared to games like CK2 that focus on a specific part of history Civā€™s application of a single set of unified mechanics to the whole of human history ends up creating a kind of state realism that is not without political implications of its own. Like, Civilization is a series in which the entirety of human history is described in terms of a competition with explicit winners and losers between entities with strictly defined borders and policies enforced within them, i.e. nation-states. Itā€™s not a very big leap into nationalism and itā€™s arguably a testament to the durability and strength of democratic and egalitarian cultural norms that the series has evolved the way it has instead of becoming something more actively right-wing.

• gerikson@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        3 months ago

Isnā€™t Hearts of Iron IV the game of choice for people who want to explore victorious virtual Third Reichs?

• Soyweiser@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          3 months ago

Only the noobs conquer the world with the third reich, the experts use decolonialist South Africa to take over the world.