I watched a review of the TNG episode “Thine Own Self” a while ago where it was mentioned that Picard doesn’t appear until the very end after Data gets back to the Enterprise, after all the scenes of Crusher having the bridge and Riker observing Troi taking the test to becoming a commander. They suggested that Patrick Stewart may not have been around for most of the filming but they needed him to appear at least a bit in the episode because it was in the contract.

Is this a common thing? Yesterday I was watching DS9’s “Paradise Lost” and couldn’t help but notice that Bashir only has like 3 lines on the Defiant and could easily have not been there. But Quark doesn’t appear in the episode at all.

But if Armin Shimerman didn’t need to be in every episode they could easily have cut him from the episode “Duet” because the only line Quark has is him wondering whether Bajoran survivors of a labour camp like to gamble.

Maybe I’m just thinking too hard about what happens behind the scenes instead of just enjoying the show.

• Wooster@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My limited understanding is that the studio is paying for that actor to appear in every episode, regardless of if the actor is necessary. So to get their money’s worth, they appear in throwaway scenes.

Obviously depends on the contract, and it’s just as probable that I’m talking out my bum.

• taladar@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Maybe they want to ensure nobody else gets to use the actor while they are paying them to be on their show to avoid future problems when they do need them for episodes where they appear more often.

• Thorry84@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s also a time management thing. It’s usually hard for an actor to do multiple projects at the same time (shooting days can be kinda intensive). So when they commit to a project, they want to know they aren’t wasting their time.

If they say yes to one project it would mean they have to say no to another project, but they only get paid based on appearance. If one project pays more per appearance but then has them only appear in 1 or 2 episodes, they may have said no to a project that pays less, but would have earned them more because they would have more appearances. It’s often not known in advance whos role gets how much screen time and how much shooting is involved.