Rule 2: All Comments Must Be “Wellthatsucks”

Really funny and impossible to block

• Larvitar@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

While this is funny, it drives traffic to the site so it’s the equivalent of people buying Nike shoes to then burn as protest. The company is still making money and they’re getting free advertising.

A better protest would be to delete Reddit accounts, uninstall the apps, and see how long you can go without hearing or thinking about reddit.

• smokinjoe@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

In the short term, sure

But in the long term, the novelty will wear thin and people will find the content they want elsewhere

• techno156@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Reddit’s CEO outright admitted that their own app was “never profitable”, while also complaining third party’s apps were making money from the same content.

If I was an investor, I’d absolutely want a good explanation for why Reddit isn’t able to make their own app profitable, while other Reddit apps can do just that.

• Larvitar@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

3rd party reddit apps aren’t bogged down resource hogs meant solely to preload videos of “he gets us” propaganda. Do the investors even use the default reddit app? Of course not!

• owenfromcanada@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As another commenter said elsewhere, it’s more nuanced than that. It drives a bit of traffic in the short term, but people interested in the original content are forced to create new subreddits (which take significant time to gain momentum again). And the gag will eventually taper off and engagement will be lower. Overall, it’s a decent form of protest (given the blackout is being forcibly overturned), as it will likely lower the value of Reddit overall, hopefully nuking the potential IPO.

Though that doesn’t invalidate your second point. Kinda fun to watch a dumpster fire for a little while, though.

• Yoshizuki@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is what I did after the disastrous AMA.
      Deleted my history with reddact.
      Uninstalled Reddit.
      Uninstalled Apollo (crying).
      I won’t go on this platform anymore.
      Although I’m missing some ‘niche’ communities such as antkeeping or those about specific incremental games…

Now I’m trying to filter all the communities that are on this topic.
      Even if it’s on the fediverse, speaking about Reddit gives them more visibility.