• stufkes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

If you see yourself in this meme, here’s two books for you to read:

1. “Running on Empty: Overcome Your Childhood Emotional Neglect” by Jonice Webb
    2. “Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents” by Lindsay C Gibson

The first one is specifically about how neglect can manifest itself. If you find your parents love you but you still feel empty or devoid of their affection, this might be useful. Especially good to read when you don’t buy the “depression is just genetic and it just happens to some people” narrative.

The second one is more general about different types of connection and bonding. Very useful to understand where your parents might come from and why they behave(d) like they do/did. Also helps stem the tide against the current internet’s "everyone with bad behaviour is a narcissist " theme

• kamenoko@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’ll add The Drama of the Gifted Child by Alice Miller which is a very short but powerful book that was the first to really advocate for children of abusive parents. It will also give you some tools to evaluate psychologists and make sure they aren’t using you for their unmet emotional needs.

• Haui
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This is amazing. Thank you.

• electrogamerman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Which book do you recommend if my parents loved me but didn’t know how to deal with a gay son? Or they love th parts that didn’t involve my sexuality and neglected everything else.

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Me when I see the amazing memes at /autism, hear the term neuro divergent for the first time, read a ptsd pamphlet, or anything about indoctrination.

Also me when any trump news breaks “wait am I a sociopath too?”

Maybe I’m a passive hypochondriac, or just terribly unaware of anything at all.

• Haui
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Sound familiar. Good luck friend.

• gotnuffin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I feel you there person.

Mine are very old. Of recent, not a day goes by of inner turmoil bubbling up, wanting me to give them a blast with both barrels (figuratively) about a lifetime of emotional neglect. But I just bite my tongue and talk about the weather over phone. It’s some kind of sick martyrdom controlling my emotions so they don’t have to really feel … right to the bitter end.