• RmDebArc_5@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Apparently this is done to block browsers like opera to change the default browser without user consent, but I think this just makes it more complicated to change the default browser. Maybe they’ll add a pop up if an application tries to change it, allowing users to accept, but I don’t think that’s likely

• Otter@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Honestly, this might be a good thing in that case. I didn’t like when my default browser randomly changed

Ideally, this would also stop browsers (ex. Edge) from using dark patterns to try and trick you into changing to them

• Tony N@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

I’m sure Edge is exempt, and will continue to switch itself to the default browser whenever it feels like it.

• LWD@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

The dark pattern is the fact Edge is the default OOTB browser on Windows.

• Bezier@suppo.fi
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Malware. Opera was bought by loan scammers so this doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Edit: comment from an old reddit post:

From Kenya here. When you fail to pay Okash loan on time they will call random contacts on your contact list and tell them to tell you to pay your loan back

This is where Opera is now.

• Kairos@lemmy.today
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

You don’t need to be a lawyer to say something is illegal. In this instance I’m talking about the antitrust case in the 90s against Microsoft which declared that restricting features of desktop OSes to certain apps to be illegal.