I know journaling might be one, and doing new things from time to time, curious if people have other tips

• Bobmighty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Trying new things and having meditative hobbies like journaling does help some, but time is a real mother fucker regardless. I’m a person who has done many many new things and filled notebooks with drawings and poems. Those things still become blips of the past as I hurtle onwards through aging. Nothing can really save you from that feeling. It’s a curse we all bear as part of our beautiful and terrible awareness. You can, in the moment, perceive it a bit slower though.
    It’s a simple trick and it doesn’t last long, but it can help if the feeling is particularly crushing at the moment. Stare at a clock; preferably a noisy analog one with a seconds hand. Concentrate on the passing of that seconds hand, the noise it makes, the motion of the clockwork, the way the light reflects off it’s face and shit like that. Relax your muscles and let the passage of seconds lull you into boredom. Before you know it, time seems less speedy and you’re ready to do whatever else.

It’s basic, but it’s something very few people actually make time for. Mainly because it’s boring lol, but that’s kind of the point. Want time to slow down? Allow yourself to be bored. Not bored while at work bored either. Proper doing absolutely nothing but staring at a ticking clock bored. Time will slow to a crawl until you start doing stuff again.