link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

When did it become illegal to say “do you know who my father is?”

Lots of kids in salmon colored shorts are heading to prison!!

• Pratai@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Around the same time as when it became only allowable when trump’s spawn does it.

• neptune@dmv.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ll never vote for Hunter or Jared for political office. That much is sure.

• bauhaus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

So what? It may be unsavory, but I don’t see how any of this is illegal. And I especially don’t see why they should be wasting taxpayer dollars on this huge circus of an investigation into something that’s not illegal. Hunter Biden is not an elected official, nor does he hold public office appointed, or otherwise. He’s a private citizen, and going after him is just a slimy way of attacking Joe Biden indirectly because the Republicans don’t have anything on him. 

• underisk@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

If the only defense you have for the behavior is “well its not illegal!” then you’re pretty much just admitting it’s indefensible. It’s just as corrupt when Joe Biden’s kid does it as it is when Trump’s spawn do. If he’s so unaffiliated and detached from his father as a private, non-political citizen then why do you care if he gets put through the wringer for being an influence peddling little shit?

• Alien Nathan Edward@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

what would you like us to do about not-illegal behavior involving not-the-president? you’re not the president, and presumably you’ve done things that are not illegal, so keep that in mind when you formulate your response.

• underisk@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

When people engage in shit I find to be immoral I do not care a single bit when they face consequences for the immoral things they did. Legality is not part of my moral calculus. You’re right that Im not the son of the president so I don’t have to worry about this bullshit slippery slope you’ve conjured to deflect with.

• bauhaus@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Then, why do you hypocritically keep demanding that a private citizen be dragged before Congress for a complete circus sham of a hearing when there’s no evidence that he broke the law, other than the fact that you just don’t like him, of course….?

And why should Congress give a shit about your “moral calculus”? 

• bauhaus@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

who said Hunter Biden needs a defense? he’s not accountable to you or to anyone.

he doesn’t hold nor is he running for public office. he’s a private citizen. HE’S ALLOWED TO BE A SCUMBAG. and if you don’t like that, too bad.

he doesn’t owe you or anyone else an explanation, a defense, or anything else.

• underisk@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Do you think it should be legal for people to go around using your father’s political position to peddle your influence? Are you unwilling to entertain the idea that it’s possible he did do something that actually is illegal while being an immoral scumbag? If not, then why not just shrug your shoulders and let them fight it out, instead of rushing to point out how totally legal it is to be a piece of shit.

• bauhaus@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

It has nothing to do with my feelings or your paranoid rhetoric. It has to do with the facts of the matter, and whether you have any evidence at hand that warrants dragging him before congressional committee just because you don’t like who his dad is. Which you don’t.

• underisk@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  11 months ago

You’re right that I don’t like Biden. I don’t think it’s paranoid to suggest that someone who was blatantly peddling influence may have possibly run afoul of one of the few toothless corruption laws we have. Personally, I’d like to see all dynastic influence peddling political children dragged before a congressional committee, especially Trump’s, but I’m not gonna cry foul because the one that got bit by it is the one whose father falls closer (but still quite far from) my beliefs on some political spectrum. If he wanted to remain a private citizen free from political and public scrutiny, then he shouldn’t have gone around selling access to his familial political connections.

• bauhaus@lemmy.ml
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    11 months ago

But that’s exactly what you’re doing: crying foul, and you don’t have any evidence that he’s doing that. Once again, you’re using circular logic in order to justify dragging someone before a congressional hearings because you don’t like their father, and you have suspicions. Suspicions, not evidence. In this country, your hatred of his father, combined with your own paranoia are not nearly enough. 

• bitsplease@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t think anyone on either side of the aisle (except for the most die-hard thoughtless folks I suppose) would argue against it being immoral, but that’s the whole point - immoral != illegal

You can absolutely look down on Hunter for doing it, hell, you can absolutely look down on Joe for not coming down on Hunter for it, but there’s no crime here, despite the conservative medias best efforts to make it seem like there is one, so they can report on that instead of the numerous actual crimes that Trump is on trial for.

• ShyDrusi@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m reposting this comment because it’s relevant:

“I think you’re missing the point. It’s one thing to use your parents’ influence to get ahead in business, but it’s another thing entirely to use their influence to withhold international aid and pressure a foreign government to kill a corruption investigation into the company that you just so happen to sit on the board of. Granted, these are all just allegations at this point, but that’s why this case is receiving so much attention.”

• g0nz0li0@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Granted, these are all just allegations at this point

Very dubious allegations that they are failing to prove when you consider that their own witness testified that Hunter and Joe Biden would discuss casual, personal matters in the phone and explicitly not Hunter Biden’s business.

• neptune@dmv.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Yep. If Hunter Biden did those things he should held accountable. Same as tax fraud.

The larger issue is that it appears Joe was entirely not involved. I mean, if I killed my neighbor would my father stand trial alongside me? Nope.

• Falmarri@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s relevant in showing that you’re only interested in posting talking points, not actual reality, or anything that you actually know yourself. Otherwise you’d be embarrassed to post something this wrong

• Grant_M@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You’re talking about trump and the trump crime syndicate when they attempted extortion on the Ukrainian government and were impeached for it, yes?