• reddig33@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The battery is replaceable. Take it to any Apple Store and they’ll swap it for you for $89 or so. The adhesive is kind of like what they use on those 3m command strips.

• Molecular0079@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

If you think paying a third or even half of the current value of your phone to replace its battery is okay…well that’s your loss I guess.

You can’t call a device sustainable when the cost to repair it is more than what most people are willing to pay.

• reddig33@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m not aware of a brand new iPhone that costs $170. For me it was worth the $80 or so to have it swapped and extend the life of my phone another six years. Cheaper than buying another phone.

• Molecular0079@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

I’m not aware of a brand new iPhone that costs $170

Why would you be replacing the battery of a brand new iPhone? I am talking about the cost of an iPhone when its old enough that its battery is giving out. The value of that old iPhone is not as much as a brand new one. Deprecation is a thing. Spending $80 bucks on something that’s currently worth $170 is just stupid. $80 bucks is easily in the price range that makes people consider whether it’d be better off for them to put that towards a new phone. It’s a lot of money to sink into an old device that you know is already about to become obsolete.

• CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Yes it’s like taking your $500 beater car to the mechanic and they tell you it’ll cost $3000 to get it running again but with no guarantee for how long.

• Graphy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

This just seems like arguing for the sake of arguing. I just replaced my battery for shy of $50 which is a bit much but I lazied out on the ifixit kit.