• UESPA_Sputnik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I use it when I’m staying at hotels and want to use their WiFi, or any other public WiFi, to protect my private data. Google probably has it anyway but there’s no need to share it with another unknown entity.

• stormio@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

No! I recently started going back to the office, so the Google One VPN was an easy way for me to bypass the restrictions on my company’s Wi-Fi network.

• Stefen Auris@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

hi guys its just google! so listen we can’t decide on how to brand any of our services so if you don’t like something don’t worry it will be changed in 6 months or less!

• Zagorath@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Seriously, at this point it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. None of the dedicated users start using a Google service because they know it won’t last. Or maybe they do use it to play around with, but they certainly don’t recommend it to their less enthusiastic social circles. Either way, this severely restricts how much the service can grow by word of mouth. Thus it doesn’t get enough users for Google to consider it viable, and they shut it down. And next time, people are even more cautious about getting invested in a Google tool.

• Tony Bark@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’m just waiting for everything they haven’t killed to merge onto YouTube, at this point. Because that seems to be the direction things are headed.

• ladfrombrad 🇬🇧@lemdro.idM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m just waiting for everything they haven’t killed to merge onto YouTube

Me and ye both.

Using the “website” YouTube in my mobile browser sucks and I have to disable their “app” because it’s a system app for some reason or other, to then allow me to use a better app like Newpipe without their system app popping up in the share menu every time I get an update.

Speaking of updates my Xiaomi just updated to A14, and even thou I have Chrome disabled I now get this…

You couldn’t make it up.