Today I was contacted by someone at work. She graduated school with me and our 20 year reunion was coming up. Why did she contact me at work? It was the only way they were able to track me down. I was included in promotional material by name. She told me I "was the hardest to track down"and I had to smile.

This is just a small anecdote about privacy practices and their real life impact (and how your employer can undo all of it, I guess)

• delirious_owl@discuss.online
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Is it really an issue that people can contact you? Its not really an issue of privacy if all they can do is contact you…

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I don’t want corporations to see what I buy, what news I read, or see a trace of my GPS coordinates.

I do want former colleagues and friends to be able to find my email address…

• BreakDecks@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Then give it to them. Address books, physical and digital, are nothing new.

Some of us don’t want just anyone with something to say showing up in our inboxes.

• mattreb@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I kinda agree with you, being impossible to contact is probably unachievable in today society…Isn’t it more important to avoid sharing more personal information, like your exact location history with Google? (or pls explain me the downvotes)

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Well I’m saying I want to be contactable. I’ve moved many times in my life, and I don’t want to loose contact with old lovers, friends, and colleagues.

Isn’t it wonderful when an old friend sends you a message and you get to catch up?