• vrighter
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m not hair splitting over whether they can or not. scalar processors with simd cannot do vector processing, because vector processing is not simd.

yes an array of values can be called a vector in a lot of contexts. I could also say that vector processing involves dynamically allocated arrays, since that’s what c++ calls them. A word can be used in mulmiple contexts. When the word vector is used in the term “vector processor” it specifically excludes scalar processors with simd instructions. It refers to a particular architecture of machine. Just being able to handle a sequence of numbers is not enough. Simd can do it, as can scalar processors (one at a time, but they still handle “an array of numbers”). You can’t even say that they necessarily have to execute more than one at a time. A superscalar processor without simd can do that as well.

A vector processor is a processor specifically designed to handle large lists. And yes, I do consider gpus to be vector processors (exact same shader running on better vector hardware, does run faster.) They are specifically designed for it. simd on a scalar processor is just… not

• mindbleach@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

A word can be used in mulmiple contexts.

Says user insisting an umbrella term has one narrow meaning.

A meaning that would include the SoundBlaster 32.