[Peter Holderith] set out some time ago to build an electric go-kart. That by itself is not terribly unusual, but where his project diverts from the usual is in the fact that each of the four wheel…

• guyrocket@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’d like to see passenger vehicles with a motor on each wheel. I don’t think that exists now for any in production.

• nilloc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Wheel motors powerful enough to drive a full size vehicle will result in a. Lot of unsprung weight.

The Rivian trucks and SUVs also have available quad motor (which is how it can do those tank turns on loose surfaces). It uses drive axles with CV joints like modern independent suspensions in conventional cars use. Stupid expensive though, $80,000 plus last time I looked.

• guyrocket@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Rimac announced on May 17, 2023, that the Nevera set 23 performance records in a single day, including 0–97 km/h (0–60 mph) in 1.74 s, 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph) in 1.82 s, 402 m (1⁄4 mi) in 8.25 s, and 0–400–0 km/h (0–249–0 mph) in 29.93 s.[26]

Wow.

• femtech@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I would like this to be available to rent at the track when they have other super cars there.

• nilloc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Rivian trucks have optional ones too, it’s how they can do tank turns.

I think there was a Mercedes as well, but I’m not sure if it made it to production.