• Rom [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

yeonmi-park In bad country, students who protest the government’s massacres are expelled from university and thrown into prison

• krolden@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I saw this on the news the other day and they said ‘antisemitism’ more times than they said Gaza.

• emizeko [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

The American liberal, faced with this reality, tends to concede that truth is in fact drowned out by a relentless tide of spin and propaganda. Their next move is always predictable, however. It’s another lesson dutifully drilled into them in their youth: “At least we can dissent, however unpopular and ineffectual!” The reality, of course, is that such dissent is tolerated to the extent that it is unpopular.

Big-shot TV host Phil Donahue demonstrated that challenging imperial marching orders in the context of the invasion of Iraq was career suicide, when a leaked memo clearly explained he was fired in 2003 because he’d be a “difficult public face for NBC in a time of war.” [5] The fate of journalists unprotected by such wealth or celebrity is darker and sadder. Ramsey Orta, whose footage of Eric Garner pleading “I can’t breathe!” to NYPD cops choking him to death went viral, was rewarded for his impactful citizen journalism by having his family targeted by the cops, fast-tracked to prison for unrelated crimes, and fed rat poison while in there. [6] The only casualty of the spectacular “Panama Papers” leak was Daphne Caruana Galizia, the journalist who led the investigation, who was assassinated with a car-bomb near her home in Malta. [7] Then there’s the well-publicized cases of Assange, Snowden, Manning, etc. That said, I tend think to such lists are somewhat unnecessary since, ultimately, most honest people confess that they self-censor on social media for fear of consequences. (Do you?)

In other words, the status quo in the West is basically as follows: you can say whatever you want, so long as it doesn’t actually have any effect.

from https://redsails.org/brainwashing/

• LaughingLion [any, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

They didn’t just try and poison Orta. They put his block on lockdown and fed the whole row poisoned food. The other prisoners ate it and were vomiting blood and shit. I think he just took a bite or two because a bunch of COs were standing outside his cell demanding he eat.

• WashedAnus [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

My uncle got expelled from grad school for this shit back in the South Africa anti-apartheid protests. They just keep using the same playbook, but this time they’re screeching “ANTISEMITISM!” the whole time.

• SkingradGuard [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

All the “free speech” hogs celebrate this because they consider every muslim to be subhuman terrorist, meaning the students speaking out against Palestine’s situation are considered terrorist sympathisers.

Death to America