Hi all,

Apologies if this isn’t the correct place to ask, if not just point me in the right direction.

Hopefully someone can help me with this as i’ve been struggling for a while now. Previously i’ve been using the free Oracle VPS to proxy some services that are being ran from my local server to access them without tailscale but am now looking to host some stuff myself on it like FreshRSS.

I’m running Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.15.0-1037-oracle aarch64) on the VPS, Nginx Proxy Manager and using Cloudflare for domain stuff.

The issue is, whenever i try to access the URL of something set up on the VPS with the IP on NPM set to either the private IP, localhost, VPS tailscale IP or 127.0.0.1, i get a 502 error from cloudflare, however, if i set that same proxy host to the tailscale IP and port of something on my local server, it works fine, which suggests to me it’s something LAN related on the VPS i need to sort but i just can’t figure out what.

Anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: Turns out it was due to iptables on the VM. https://lemmy.world/comment/325214

• life8853@tslemmy.duckdns.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yea, its sometimes annoying when you have to manage 2 firewalls (still to this day i find the Oracle interface too messy), but it makes it secure

• g11@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

None of those IPs are public so when someone external comes asking for the public IP 129.159.x.x the server will respond that it doesn’t have any service running in that IP. When the service is listening to the tailscale interface and you access it through tailscale, your browser is asking the server for the content on 100.64.x.x, the tailscale IP, and so there is indeed a service on that IP. So if you want to provide a service on both the tailscale network and through the public IP, you have to use the IP 0.0.0.0 which means every interface or you can also tell nginx to listen on both the public ip and the tailscale ip. And as the other comment says, you have to allow the port connection in bot the VPS and the Oracle network, the VCN.