• sygnius@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Is no one else going to talk about how weird it is to see a square manhole cover? Now there’s a risk of dropping the cover down the hole due to the shape.

• Kiosade@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

It’s not a manhole, it’s way too small. But yeah not sure why it’s square. Could be European, they do weird stuff like that all the time.

• sygnius@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

You’re right. OP called it a manhole, so I assumed. But looking at the size compared to the foot, it’s too small to be a manhole cover.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I see small square junction box things like this all the time in California. Mostly in-between where two homes’ lawns meet. The one I had in my lawn before I moved to an apartment sucked because it was slightly raised from the grass and was in an awkward position to try and get the mower around.

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Square covers like this are common globally. AFAIK also in the US:

https://manholecoversdirect.com/products/square-manhole-covers-and-frames/

Setting square tiles or paving stones around a circular cover is a pain in the ass.

But it wouldn’t be the first time the US is weird, like the whole imperial measurements thing, so whatever. Or maybe you live in a state that decided square manhole covers were biblically incorrect.

• ChickenLadyLovesLife@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

For a while in the programming world “why are manhole covers round?” was a common question to be asked in interviews. I had no fucking clue the first time I was asked, but subsequently I would put on my deep pondering face and reason through it out loud and arrive at the correct answer, which never failed to impress the interviewer. After a few years I started owning up to the fact that I (and everyone else) had already heard that question.