Let’s talk about some UI/quality of life stuff. I was about to open issue, but since it touches a bunch of different topics, I guess a discussion is better. It’s a bunch of things that were annoying to me over the last months. It doesn’t mean that something has to change, could just be that I overlooked some features somewhere.

• Special floor explanations on mobile
    • The desktop version of ShPD allows to hover the floor indicator, but I can’t find an equivalent for touch on mobile
  • Ignore invisible mobs and allies for automatic movement
    • To some degree automatic movement reveals positions of mobs
    • If you have 10 wraiths active on the floor or something like that, the character runs aimlessly back and forth without even reaching his destination
    • It’s better to get stuck than wasting satiation
  • Optional auto aiming button for touch input that works like tab with keyboard input

Fat finger syndrome stuff:

• Targeting yourself by clicking on your portrait or hitting the shortcut for hero info
    • I had it happen a bunch of times that I accidentally shot my wand in some direction instead of shielding myself, which can be a serious problem with wand of blast/fire/disintegration
    • Also relevant for ghost guiding
  • Optional “Are you sure?” popups for automatic movement
    • It happens that you accidentally run somewhere when input for zooming/panning failed
  • Optional visual aid for aiming and maybe optional confirmation if you really wanna shoot/throw to tile without mob
    • Did I touch the right tile and not a neighboring one?
      • A classic is to shoot a tile adjacent to a mob
    • Can I even hit that mob/trap?
    • Would I hit my allies?
    • It’s sometimes hard to tell if it would hit a wall edge or not
    • It should only respect revealed stationary environments and visible mobs, but not 100% show where it actually hits since that would reveal invisible entities

Those are especially related to taking a longer break and picking up a save game after months:

• Notes for floors
    • Did I find hidden doors on that floor with extra secrets?
    • Did I use scroll of mapping?
    • What did the quest say? Did I already finish that quest?
    • Did I use all blacksmith options already?
    • Did I solve all puzzles or were some potions missing for them?
    • Such notes should probably be accessible via “Landmarks” interface
    • Currently I use Steam overlay notes for that, but that’s a dissatisfying solution since it’s completely closed source
  • Notes for unidentified potions/scrolls/items (extends the previous point)
    • On what floor did I find this potion/scroll?
    • Who dropped it?
    • Was it in a chest/grave?
    • Maybe should be automatically deleted when identified
  • Ability to ⭐ items
    • If I remember correctly, Borderlands 2 and Victor Vran allowed to mark items that you wanna continue to use to simplify selling not needed stuff
    • It’s hard to remember your setup if you didn’t play for some time
  • More save game infos like “last played at XXX” and “save game of game version XXX”
    • Though savegame should probably not be overwritten if you didn’t do any significant actions since opening the save game, dunno how that’s currently handled
  • 00-EvanM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    28 days ago

There’s quite a few things mentioned here, so I’ll briefly go over each one in order:

• special floors also announce themselves in the game log when the hero enters the floor or whenever the game is loaded on that floor. I always felt like that was enough to establish a connection with the icon. There is no ‘hover’ function on mobile, neither is there enough screen space to turn that icon into a proper button.
    • I’m not sure exactly what you mean here, as the hero does ignore enemies and allies which they cannot see. That’s a big reason why auto pathing stops when an enemy pops into view, as otherwise suddenly changing directions would be quite common.
    • As a few folks have mentioned, you can tap on the enemy count indicator to swap targets like using the tab key on desktop.

• I’m curious how many people would use something like this. The game would also need to communicate this functionality somewhere, as it’s not exactly intuitive to discover.
    • this sort of situation would be effectively impossible for the game to detect reliably. It would likely end up asking ‘are you sure?’ in lots of cases where the player gave simple inputs, and would end up being quite annoying.
    • I have considered something like this on desktop because of mouse hover, but I don’t think this would be possible on mobile without requiring every targeting prompt to take two taps. Auto-aim also already solves this problem in most cases.

• All of these points boil down to having custom note functionality, which is something I would like to add soon-ish. The problem is mainly that implementing it well takes a fair amount of design consideration, as lots of different people all have different ideas as to what would work best. Just as a simple example, lots of people want notes or tags to exist in the inventory, but I’m wary of this as that UI is already very visually busy. The journal is the obviouls place to put them, but then the functionality might be too tucked away for lots of people to bother with.
    • @chonglibloodsport@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      127 days ago

Hi Evan. When I tap here:

main game screenshot

The game brings up the list of active challenges in my game. But this information is also accessible from the menu:

menu screenshot

Whereas the information on the current floor modifier is not. The current list of challenges is not something I look at very often and doesn’t change throughout the game so I think it makes more sense to only access it through the menu and change that above tap location to bring up the floor modifier information.

• @DarkNightoftheSoul@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    29 days ago

Very much second the floor-type indicator on mobile.

I’d like to see grid borders, would help with counting tiles in eg 4 gold key&chest float rooms. Also the ability to scroll up to see previous messages; a message log or something, divided and filterable by floor and message type. Admittedly selctable indication for floor-type on mobile would eliminate 95%+ of the wish to scroll messages.

• @Habahnow@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    329 days ago

Is this for sh(attered) pd? You can check if you have discovered a scroll or potion already. Unless you mean if you used it on a specific level (I think the closest to knowing this is that there should be some areas that have a blue hue, that you can’t discover.

In regards for your potions and scroll notes, I feel like being able to put little Green or red icons of potions or scrolls on undiscovered items would help. For instance You can use a stone of identification and if you guess wrong, mark it down so you don’t forget your guess. Alternatively, you can mark a potion with a green healing potion symbol on a potion that just fell off of a swarm of flies.

Extending on blacksmith details, store details would be amazing as well. 6th floor market has the following items.i currently also take a bunch of notes for my 8 challenge runs for this reason.

You know a quiest us completed because I don’t believe the neutral npc shows up on the levels guide.

• BaŝtoOP
      link
      English
      edit-2
      29 days ago

Unless you mean if you used it on a specific level

Yes, I meant that. When you used scroll of magic mapping on a floor or run through the whole floor with scroll of foresight, you know you’ve definitely found all secret rooms on that floor. Similar situation with using scroll of teleportation and not getting teleported to a hidden door.

think the closest to knowing this is that there should be some areas that have a blue hue

That can also be caused by wand of prismatic light.

Keeping track of where you got potions is important for unidentified potions you need for puzzles, either you need to know because you want to use them or you use a different way and want to narrow down:

• levitation for traps room (stone of disarming; stone of flock; stone of blast; wand of blast wave; throwing items on traps) and 4 gold-chest room (ghost + ally warp; ethereal chains)
      • liquid fllame for barricade (burning/blazing trap close enough or extended with grass) and secret runestone room (both: wand of disintegration; wand of fireblast; seed of firebloom; reclaimed burning/blazing trap)
      • invisibilty for the piranha room (wand of blast wave; stone of blast; kill them)
      • haste for the sentry room (ghost + ally warp; ethereal chains)
      • purity for toxic fog room
      • frost for fire wall room (seed of icecap on water; potion of purity; wand of frost; reclaimed chilling/frost trap)

Also if there are two potions of the same kind on one floor it can’t be potion of strength and it’s unlikely to be a potion of experience since that’s the rarest potion.

You know a quiest us completed because I don’t believe the neutral npc shows up on the levels guide.

I have to pay attention to that. But sorry it was the wrong word, I thought more about puzzles where it could happen that you didn’t find the required potion yet or accidentally drank/destroyed it.

• @MrRedstoner@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    128 days ago

Optional auto aiming button for touch input that works like tab with keyboard input

Guessing this jumps to target another enemy? You can just tap the enemy indicator to do that, even without bringing up the auto aim

In terms of fancy aiming especially beyond what auto-target will do for you, to me that very much seems like part of player skill, that said a more visible grid especially in black regions (i.e. areas around rooms and corridors) would help a lot

• BaŝtoOP
      link
      English
      128 days ago

Guessing this jumps to target another enemy?

Yes, keyboard and gamepad inputs allow to jump between all enemies with a clear line of sight. It was introduced because aiming with a gamepad is hard otherwise.