Have built a Thomas Henry LM-VCO and in the middle of building an Eddy Bergman / YuSynth ADSR and a VCA. Hooked up to an AI Synthesis Stereo Matrix Mixer and Hexinverter Mutant Brain with an Alesis QX-49 keyboard and SR-18 drum machine.

What should I do with the last 10hp of my case?

• Kashif Shah@lemmy.sdf.orgOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Hmm, sounds like it might be worth me adding on another 24hp section to my case so that I can add a LFO. I’ll start with the filter, though - was looking at another Eddy Bergman stripboard layout for a VCF that ought to be quite manageable.

• SuperSynthia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

With 24 hp, you could fit a couple of LFOs and have space left for an attenuator. Look up attenuators, I’m sure Bergman’s site has one. It helps a lot for taming your modulations and you can fit like atleast two in four hp. A good LFO module size would be atleast 8 hp with two separate LFOs behind the panel. Some people can cram more in less space but ergonomics suffer. I think it’s plausible with to use a CD40106 (inverting Schmitt trigger oscillator) and a TL074 (output buffer ensuring 0-5v strength) with all the supporting circuits/jacks but definitely don’t take my word for it

• Kashif Shah@lemmy.sdf.orgOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

That sounds like a plan.

I have some leftover TL074, a few CA3080, a few LM13700, and plenty of TL072 and basic CMOS chips and opamps, but I dont think I have the CD40106, but isnt a Schmitt trigger something that can be built entirely from transistors?

I’m thinking of making a 12hp generative module using arduino, DACs, and some code to operate as many CV controls as I can manage. Would be really cool to have it be able to implement a physical model algorithm for a guitar pluck or something, too.

• SuperSynthia@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Oh for sure you can use transistors. Slightly Nasty makes a full fledged VCO from transistors. So a great micro controller would be either the teensy line or even a RP2040 (I think that’s the designation it’s a raspberry pi based microcontroller.). Look up the Europi they have some great code examples you could look at.