Also I made a new acc so I can use Voyager! Previously used @SmoochyPit@beehaw.org.

My main reason for moving to Lemmy/Kbin was to have 3rd party app support, and Beehaw ceasing Lemmy updates has now prevented that (for Voyager, at least). I still love Beehaw though, but the website is really bad on mobile.

Anyways I’ll comment a picture when this print finishes 🙏

• huginn@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Hope it turns out ok. Usually printing tall narrow things in that orientation results in wobble and uneven layers at the top, if it finishes at all.

If it fails try printing with 1 side touching the bed or at a 45° angle with supports along the bottom. You’ll have to sand down the supported surface but it should at least complete!

• SmoochyPit@lemmy.caOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It definitely does seem sketch, but the creator of the model recommended printing it vertically— it makes the gap, nub and tip a bit smoother.

I had to slow the layers a bit and play with the raft and supports (I originally did a 3ds xl stylus a few months ago, that’s where my trial-and-error was)

Here’s how it turned out: https://lemmy.ca/comment/8779564

• huginn@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Glad it worked!

That’s ultimately the point of printing in my view. If you’ve made something useful you’re doing it right.

• SmoochyPit@lemmy.caOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Agreed. My favorite print I’ve done is a super basic rectangle with a circular section cut out of it, I made it myself with openscad and it’s propping up a pipe in my basement. It’s so cool how flexible 3D printing is! I’ve still only scratched the surface…