I was reading a book on social life of the upper-middle class and new rich of the American 1920s and realized so many things we now do proudly were considered socially taboo back then. This was especially the case for clothing, makeup, women in certain public spaces, etc. What do you think will be different in the 2120s? Or maybe even the next 50 years?

• Rottcodd@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I would presume that in 100 years, if humanity still exists, we’ll be deep into a dark age, so there likely won’t be much in the way of widespread taboos at all. Individual clans and tribes will undoubtedly have their own taboos, but there’s no telling what they might be.

• mestari@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

What makes you think that a global crisis would reduce humanity to tribes and clans? Isn’t it more likely that desperate times result in something more like a global government and more systematic enslavement of humans? How could the owning class ever pass on the opportunity of not having to work and instead utilize their workers as efficiently as possible?

• Rottcodd@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I believe that the oligarchs will try to do exactly that - I just don’t think that they’ll succeed.

And in trying and failing, they’ll so undermine society and bring about so much frustration and anger that our civilization will not survive.

• Phantom_Engineer@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

A global crisis, if severe enough, would make a global government impossible to maintain. If anything, existing governments would struggle to survive.