I was reading a book on social life of the upper-middle class and new rich of the American 1920s and realized so many things we now do proudly were considered socially taboo back then. This was especially the case for clothing, makeup, women in certain public spaces, etc. What do you think will be different in the 2120s? Or maybe even the next 50 years?

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Time begins and then time ends. And then time begins once again.

It is happening now, it has happened before, it will surely happen again.

• LegendofDragoon@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

• AvaAmazing@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

True. We should just get rid of gender because it’s all just a social construct anyways so it’s not even real. The world would be better off if we just got rid of gender and then you can wear whatever clothing you want without it being “closed off” because you don’t identify as that gender.

• Pandantic@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Okay, please don’t attack me if this is wrong to say, but I wonder sometimes if someone of the people questioning their gender just want to wear / like the things the opposite gender wears / likes without being attacked for it. Like if we just un-gender all the things, some people wouldn’t feel “trans” because they can outwardly represent themselves however they want without people judging them. (note: I am in no way trying to illegitimize anyone’s trans-ness).

• mestari@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I just can’t believe you could wear a flowy floral print summer dress and be considered a dependable guy by everyone. Some cultures put such an high effort to preserve their old ways that I can’t see that going away in 100 years, or even 300 years. The rest of us unfortunately have to play by their rules and taboos.

• TechyDad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Last year, my father called me up to tell me that he saw a guy wearing a dress. He was obviously looking for a “This is surely a sign of the end times” reply, but I just said “So?”

My father then asked me if I’d wear a dress. I replied “it’s not for me, but I’m not going to judge someone who wants to wear one.”

I can definitely see “guy wearing a dress” going from “this is horrible and the guy should be arrested for such indecency” (what might have happened 100 years ago) to “whatever” in 100 years given how attitudes changed between my father’s generation (Boomer) and mine (GenX).

• El Barto@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Oh I can see it go away in the next 100 years. Fashion can be very weird and chaotic.

Also, remember when men didn’t wear pants at all?

• TechyDad@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Heck, at one point wearing tights and high heels with a big white wig was the height of men’s fashion. Women, meanwhile, didn’t wear high heels or tights at all because those were “men’s clothing.”

So even if society doesn’t accept “men wearing a woman’s flowery sun dress” as normal, things might change so that flowery sun dresses are seen as masculine and guys who don’t wear them could be called various names.

• stephfinitely@artemis.camp
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

My husband has wore a flowery summer dress for our daughter tea party before and it didn’t make me think he was any less dependable. If anything they reason he wore it and how confidently he wore made me more attracted to him.

• blanketswithsmallpox@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Prostitution and drugs being illegal.

I have a hard time seeing a proper utopia driven society penalizing these. Everyone should be able to fuck. Everyone should be able to put whatever they want in their bodies too. Dicks or drugs, doesn’t matter.

• berkeleyblue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Total agree with prostitution, Drugs on the other hand are tricky. I like Portugals approach. Decriminalize it for individuals, prosecute the distributors and get those addicted help to get off of it. Seems to work quite good for them.

• scbasteve7@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Some drugs are fine, others not so much. And some people can form bad habits and dependencies on good drugs. Its a tricky situation all around. But yes, thats the best approach imho

• Mike D.@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ve recently read it isn’t going so well for them. People aren’t being diverted to rehab as much anymore. The country is attracting addicts that want to get high with no repercussions.

• waterbogan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Prostitution is already legal in a number of countries, as is cannabis and some other drugs in some places eg Portugal

I’m in general agreement with you but would make an exception for some extremely high harm drugs such as meth

• Hunter2
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Drugs are not legal in Portugal. It’s decriminalised up to small amounts (ie personal use), which is different.

My understanding is that:

If you get caught with a couple of joints (or any drugs), they are confiscated, you are identified and you might have to pay a fine, do community service or go to an addiction consultation.

If you’re over that limit, but not overly, you get the above + go to court and will likely receive suspended sentence and will have a criminal record.

If you get caught with a truckload (obviously for distribution), if it’s your first offence you’ll likely also get suspended sentence, such is the state of our justice. If it’s not your first offence, you’ll likely do jail time.

• sudo@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

What benefit does making ‘extremely harmful drugs such as meth’ illegal provide? In the US meth is illegal. In the US meth use is an epidemic. Prohibition doesn’t stop people from accessing or using drugs. It just puts a legal constraint that adds fear of repercussion and social stigma on users that is another barrier to overcome when attempting to seek help and treatment. Not to mention illegal drug trades mean potentially dangerous, unregulated products and the crime that drug trade is often associated with.

• waterbogan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

If you make most drugs legal bar the most harmful ones, people will gravitate towards the less harmful ones because of legal availability. The mistake the US made is to make all drugs illegal, blanket prohibition has been a disaster

• Pandantic@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

And I think what @sudo wants is decriminalization - that a person who gets arrested for using meth is treated for their addiction rather than go to jail.

• waterbogan@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

For meth users, yes that is the right approach. For the dealers/ sellers etc, jail or something that incapacitates them is a better option

• Reborn2966@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

i would not, if you want to do hard drugs you can. in a controlled environment with a doctor nearby. of course you will have to pay for that.

if you ban it, people that want it no matter what will crate an illegal market for it.

• CombatWombatEsq@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I dunno about taboo, but I think there’ll be a lot fewer “monosexual” (homo/hetero people) and a lot more bi/pan people. I think we’re seeing an increase already in acceptance that most people have at least a few people of their non-preferred gender they’re attracted to, and those kinds of mentalities will permeate to a mushy continuum of sexuality, rather than hard categories.

• BlackLodgeCooper@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

This is just a personal opinion but I suspect the trend is not linear. There will be a surge in acceptance and then possibly a calm in popularity. Social pressures aside, I feel there may be some portion of the world that is bi/pan but not in numbers so large that it would be a huge shift in current status quos. We’re also at a time when mental health is seeing an identity crisis and we’re trying to label every quirk. Gender identity almost seems like part of a shotgun approach to try and fix other issues.

I do not want to sound like I’m downplaying the importance of sexual orientation and gender identity, but there’s just so much going on socially with how fast we’re moving as a culture with the Internet that it’s hard to predict what is real and what is trendy.

Of course I could be entirely wrong.

• TechyDad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I think it’s similar to what happened when left handedness was destigmatized. Suddenly, there was a sharp increase in the number of people saying they were lefties. It wasn’t that more people were becoming lefties. It was that more people felt free to be who they really were.

A trans person 100 years ago couldn’t really come out as trans. If they did, they’d likely face a violent response. So they lived their life in suffering - maybe not even knowing why they felt so different from everyone else and thinking that there was something wrong with them.

As being trans is destigmatized (and hopefully the anti-trans stuff recently is short lived), more and more people will “come out” as trans. It’s not that the actual number of trans people is increasing, but that trans people don’t feel like they have to hide who they are. Eventually, like lefties, the rate will level out and stabilize.

A hundred years from now, people will be referencing trans people instead of lefties when talking about the next marginalized group that’s being destigmatized.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

In a more general sense, this is leaving out people who want to try something different or people who are confused. They may or may not be bi/gay/trans or whatever, but the mental health damage is from being pigeonholed. Everyone should be able to try a few things without repercussions.

I don’t know if this is still true, but it seemed like a few years ago it was considered ok for women to “experiment”, but I don’t think it ever was for guys. They should all be able to figure things out without worrying about labels or face social pressure to be one thing or another

• AA5B@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I hope you’re right. When my kids started asking questions and wondering what they might be, my answer was that labels are just a convenience and you should never worry about fitting any one. Be yourself first, then decide out if there is a close enough label you want to use. This needs to be the fururey

• cRazi_man@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

The Kinsey report looked at this objectively in the 40’s and 50’s. Everyone is on a spectrum of homo/heterosexuality. Labels, social norms, politics, etc change with time and mostly exist to for “othering” people.

It’s worth looking back at history. Ancient Romans make for interesting reading. Things change and tides change without logic or reason. Just be who you are and be good to others.

• zerbey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

This is already rapidly becoming a thing, the younger generations are far more open about their sexuality than any that preceded them.

• CombatWombatEsq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

I use bi personally, but pan people argue that there are more than two genders and they are attracted to all of them. I use bi because my sexuality is dualistic – I have both heterosexual and homosexual attractions. The two are effectively synonymous.

• funkless@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

What’s the difference between emocore, metal core, hard-core , speedcore and death jazz?

People like to pick their own labels.

• Riven@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m neither so take this with a cup of salt:

Originally they were the same. Pan (and some others) faded from use and was largely forgotten.

When it first came back into use, there was a lot of “you’re attracted to both genders; we’re attracted to all genders” but this got a lot of pushback as being bi-phobic because it paints bisexuals as being transphobic (although if you really think about it, the accusation that this is transphobic is itself transphobic as it implies trans people are not included in “both genders”. Perhaps enby-phobic would have been a more appropriate accusation).

These days the generally accepted distinction is that pansexuals are attracted to people regardless of gender, as in gender plays no part, as opposed to bisexuals who may (or may not) be attracted differently to different genders.

• chewbacastheory@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I certainly hope so. There’s definitely a taboo that comes with bi and pan folks - at least what I’ve seen anyway. The idea that we must conform to either this or that is becoming more and more outdated. The pushback from certain groups however continue to be fierce.

• BilboBargains@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Drugs. The prohibition of psychedelic substances in particular is looking more like a crime against humanity since we are rediscovering their therapeutic properties in the west (that shaman have known for mellenia).

Discussion on the topic of mental health. Virtually nothing was known about mental health until very recently. We are the first generation that even talks about it. Therapy didn’t exist in any practical and organised sense for my mother’s generation. If you got PTSD during WWI, it was a death sentence because your own frigging side would shoot you.

• Bakachu@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Free-the-nipple hopefully.

I know there’s a lot of humor over this campaign but the fact that it is illegal for one gender to do something and not the other gender and the length that media and social go to to censor only female nipples is kind of mindblowing.

Sounds like a simple and easy thing that will eventually pass into absurdity but with the whole “save the children” crackdown going on, I’m not optimistic that this is a freedom women will enjoy in a 100 years.

• ChexMax@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I don’t know that it’ll happen in time for me to benefit from it, but if free the nipple becomes more normalized, I’m hoping my nipples being visible beneath my shirt stops being so taboo (I mean bumps, not sheer shirt). I am sick of deciding I am not going to the store because I don’t want to put a bra on. I feel uncomfortable answering my door without a bra or hoodie. Forget going to family functions or work without extra padding in my bra. I hate it. They’re normal. They’re natural. Stop sexualizing the fact that women have nipples.

• Bakachu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah 2023 and theres still some for real Scarlet Letter shit going on if women leave the house in taboo mode apparently.

• RBWells@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Be the change you want to see in the world. I am old enough to remember a time before this ridiculous insistence on round lumps instead of boob-shaped boobs and am noticing FINALLY the chokehold of that thick padding and “modesty pads” is waning. Around here I am seeing more ladies braless, and in bras but with a more natural look.

It’s not even remotely immodest to have nipples, boobs come standard with them. I am not sure why the trend of the too smooth profile held on so stubbornly, but it is just a trend. I hate it and always have.

• KitsuneHaiku@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Human genetic modifications for improved physical/mental/emotional performance and aesthetics reasons. I’m sure furries will get what they want someday.

• Fondots@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

“From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh…”

Seriously though, even some pretty mundane stuff- knees and hips and such that won’t crap out on my when I’m old, teeth that won’t chip even if I do stupid shit like use them as a bottle opener, there’s all kinds of bugs just waiting to be patched out of the human wetware.

And that without even considering the superhuman upgrades that could be considered.

• twistedtxb@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Being overweight. It’s a matter of years before a magic pill cures obesity.

Obesity will no longer be seen as a social taboo, but as a disease than can be cured.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I hope you’re right. I hope soon. If there’s any way to fix obesity it will make a very noticeable impact on life expectancy, and health expectancy.

As a personal note, my Mom is approaching 80 with serious health issues and lack of mobility. She would be so much better off if one of those was not obesity

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

How do you see that manifesting?

Hunger suppressant? Prevention of food breakdown? Some meth like energy burning? Some test like muscle growth?

All have dangers.

I suppose you could have some sort of fat camp where you are monitored by doctors and lose like 1kg a week for a couple of months.

• m477m@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s worth considering that obesity was far, far less common 40-50 years ago than it is now. I don’t know exactly why. It could have to do with something in the food supply, or some other environmental or cultural factor.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

How do you see that manifesting?

Hunger suppressant? Prevention of food breakdown? Some meth like energy burning? Some test like muscle growth?

All have dangers.

I suppose you could have some sort of fat camp where you are monitored by doctors and lose like 1kg a week for a couple of months.

• waterbogan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I suspect that some degree of polyamory may be more socially acceptable in 100 years than it is now.

• RichardBonham@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I am going to operate under the following assumptions:
    -the current global trend towards authoritarian governments will continue and become more prevalent
    -balkanization will be the new norm: an atlas will show more numerous and smaller countries
    -climate change (extreme heat, extreme humidity and sea level rise) will make large regions functionally unfit for human habitation by reasons of lethal heat and/or humidity, loss of coastal access, lack of potable water and/or loss of sustainable agriculture.
    -we’ll be well into the technological curve for AI and robotics. We’ll have gone past the early stage where people over-estimate technological capabilities and far into the later stages where people will under-estimate technological capabilities
    -if cash is still legal, it will be useless for all legitimate transactions because no institution wants it. If it still exists, it will only be useful for peer-to-peer illegitimate transactions: crime, drugs and sex.
    -whatever is bad now will be worse

So: social taboos that exist today that will not be taboo in 100 years?
    -slavery: we already see slavery in all but name in the form of privatized prisons and wage-slavery (work a soul-killing minimum wage job, or die/be homeless). What if the cost of being able to emigrate from a country or region that is uninhabitable is slavery, whether real or de facto? It’s the cheapest form of labor.
    -murder: being deemed outlaw will make a comeback. An outlaw is outside the protection of the law, so killing an outlaw is not a crime.
    -extortion: governments and government proxies (militias, death squads, religious sects) will exercise sanctioned extortion
    -hoarding: if you are living in an unstable balkan state or are an unpopular minority in one, hoarding will not be pathologic
    -civilian ownership of firearms
    -racism and nationalism; best way to keep out undesirable climate refugees is to de-humanize them
    -corporations being into every piece of the pie: a logical extension of the trend to privatization or “wanting government to be run like a business” is the replacement of nation-states by corporations or zaibatsu-like alliances of multiple corporations

• Riccosuave@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

No offense intended, but I sincerely hope you are wrong on all accounts. I doubt it, but one can hope…

• SeatBeeSate@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Final stage capitalism promises the future they describe. What’s left to do when all resources are tapped and people are controlled to be sold? It only makes a future for a select few who sit on the ocean of the populous blood, the bed of ashes that is the earth and it’s depleted resources.

• Qualanqui@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

corporations being into every piece of the pie: a logical extension of the trend to privatization or “wanting government to be run like a business” is the replacement of nation-states by corporations or zaibatsu-like alliances of multiple corporations

I personally think corporations are going to kill each other off (most likely culminating in a global corpo-war where the last two duke it out) with only one surviving and becoming something akin to the catholic church in the medieval period, plunging the world into a new dark age.

• momtheregoesthatman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That was a well thought out and utterly terrifying take. I believe many of the points you’ve made will indeed be true, much to my chagrin.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

balkanization will be the new norm: an atlas will show more numerous and smaller countries

How is this not more of a thing? All these countries that didn’t exist until Europe organised them have grown and matured (in a way). But plenty of countries complain about how the boarders were made, why don’t they sort them out and change things?

Like nothing is stopping them from doing it. Blaming it on someone 100 years ago that is long dead isn’t stopping anything from happening.

• terwn43lp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

vegan diets will be more prevalent, it’s more environmentally & economically sufficient, and lab grown meat will eventually be held to higher standards & be more widely available than the farming industry