The ‘technologies’ will be replaced by their respective icons.

• projectmoon@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

There’s plenty of git forges that aren’t GitHub. Git itself has nothing to do with central servers and can theoretically be used in a completely decentralized manner.

• TehPers@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Speaking from experience, in the past year, I’ve used 3 different hosting providers for git repositories at work. Only one of them is GitHub. It’s good to keep your options open - git isn’t locked to any particular provider, after all.

• TehPers@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I’ve used GitLab and Azure DevOps professionally, but there are a lot of services out there which host Git repositories. GitLab can also be self-hosted which is nice. They all fundamentally work the same though from my experience - code viewer, issue tracker, pull requests, some way of doing CI/CD, and various collaborative and documentation features (wikis, discussion areas, permission management, etc).

It may be good to understand also where the separation lies between features that are part of Git vs those which are part of the service you’re using (like GitHub). For example, branches are Git, while pull requests and wikis are GitHub.