It started with notebooks, but that wasn’t the master plan.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

How about a repairable phone with a headphone jack?

The Framework 16 notebook doesn’t even have a headphone jack, only a USB-C to jack adapter.

• Nighed@sffa.community
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

It’s one of the slot in ones though right? so it doesn’t really count - it effectively integrated.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

It counts because the adapter slot cannot be used for something else. It is different with the smaller 13 inch model.

• tal@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

It counts because the adapter slot cannot be used for something else.

I don’t understand this objection. I mean, sure, if you put an audio block in a slot for the headphone jack, it can’t be used for something else, but let’s say they omitted a slot and just put a fixed-into-the-case headphone jack there. I assume that you wouldn’t be happier with that.

I could maybe understand it if normally a headphone jack on a laptop went somewhere other than where the slots would be, but on my Thinkpad, it’s where the slots are on a Framework laptop.

They just give you the option to have or not have a headphones jack.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

let’s say they omitted a slot and just put a fixed-into-the-case headphone jack there.

Or let’s not because that isn’t what happened in the 13 inch model.

Point is: Placing hope into a Framework phone with a headphone jack is IMO misplaced based on Framework’s most recent track record. Not even Apple got rid of headphone jacks in MacBook Air.

• turmacar@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

As someone with the 13, I would prefer the 6 slots on the 16 to the 4+headphone jack on the 13.

The best part of the modular slots is you can swap the side the jack is on for whatever works best or have it on both. (Through the magic of buying two of them.) Also if something goes wrong with the jack it’s significantly easier to replace.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                2 months ago

As someone with the 13, I would prefer the 6 slots on the 16 to the 4+headphone jack on the 13.

If you think that getting rid of the headphone jack would result in more slots, you’re out of touch with reality. There would be an additional slot on the other side of the chassis where there is no headphone jack, so 5 overall. But there aren’t. The headphone jack has absolutely nothing to do with the number of slots. Audio output is a tiny component.

• turmacar@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 months ago

Well… yeah. The 13 is smaller. I bought it before the 16 was a thing. The geometry as designed doesn’t allow 3 banks of slots.

I’m just saying, the 16 having 6 total slots, one or more of which can be an audio jack, is an upgrade. I have the audio jack module anyway specifically because it occasionally works better to have the jack on the right side of the laptop instead of the left, and then the built-in jack is vestigial.

It not being mega-ultra-built-in doesn’t matter.

• HEXN3T@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I don’t even use built-in headphone jacks anymore. I use external DACs with 2.5, 4.4 and quarter inch. Good thing for me that I can get an extra port while others can use a headphone jack still.