It seems like they are cutting as much symbolism as they can out of the shots they decide to keep in the show but every other episode feels like " We’re a family with 9 kids and everyone is homeschooled. Oh yeah and we just happen to be active in our church too."

Like, no shit you’re active in the church… Normal people do not have a quiver full of isolated kids like that. It’s not normal or healthy.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

That is so depressing when you see the stark numbers like that. I will spend time with my daughter as much as possible, even now that she’s a teenager and wants a lot more alone time. Any time she needs to talk, I will have time available for her. But these parents? Forget it. You need a lengthy heart-to-heart about something that’s really troubling you? You’re not going to get it from mom or dad, so you better hope Sister #6 is around and likes you.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

One thing I really didn’t mention is that childcare is going to take up all the free time- like either they dump their kids on any one around or they cart them along all as one herd.

And it only gets worse as they get old enough for sports or dance or debate or robotics completions. Or whatever.

2 people simply can’t be everywhere, and this is assuming they’re able to go in the first place