• uis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I’d settle for universal housing. And universal education. And universal healthcare.

• trolololol@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I don’t understand why you need all of that. Let’s say we agree, next you’ll say people deserve clean water and steer the world away from climate disaster and genocide. You <insert group name> want it all!

• uis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

next you’ll say people deserve clean water and steer the world away from climate disaster and genocide.

First falls both under housing and healthcare(utility and preventive healthcare + hygene), genocide is opposite of healthcare and we are already in climate disaster.

• stergro@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

The Australian model is also interesting. After your degree you pay a certain percentage of your income to your university for a decade or so. But only if you earn more than the average person.

This means a university gets more money when their students gets good job.

• dan@upvote.au
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Other points about the Australian system:

• The cost of the university course is subsidised by the government. The government pays the majority of the cost, usually around 70-80%. For example, a Bachelor of Computer Science degree at the university I went to (Swinburne) is currently AU$9k/year (~US$5.8k) subsidised vs AU$39k/year (~US$25.4k) full price.
        • The loans for the amount you have to pay are through the government and are interest free. They’re indexed for inflation once per year, but this is a much lower increase compared to interest from a bank loan.
        • You only have to pay it off once you earn over $51k/year, like you said. Repayments start at 1% of income and are paid as part of your income tax return.
        • They used to have a program where if you paid $500 or more of the loan upfront, you’d get a 10% discount (so e.g. if you paid $500, it’d reduce your loan balance by $550).

Note that this system only applies to citizens and permanent residents. International students still have to pay the full price. Having said that, Australian universities frequently advertise at college fairs in the USA, as even at the full price plus flights plus accomodation, studying in Australia can still end up cheaper than the USA, and Americans love Australia 🙂

• Socsa@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

This is all I care about. I was forced to refinance into private loans because the interest rates on the federal loans were fucking stupid. All I want is the loans to be more reasonable.

• Bytemeister@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        Ελληνικά
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I saw my wife’s student loans last night. She took out 37,000 dollars in 2008. She’s been paying her monthly amount for over 10 years, and she now only owes 43,000 dollars.

Cancel student debt. Most of us have already paid for college more than once.

Edit: also worth noting that up until now, only about 30% of PSLF applications are approved, and something like 37 (that’s total, not percent) of loans are fulfilled using IDR plans.

Cancel student debt.