• impure9435@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

TikTok is literally controlled directly by the Chinese government, which is officially considered a foreign adversary (for a good reason)

• impure9435@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

There are more than enough sources, just google “TikTok Chinese government influence”. Just a few examples:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/iainmartin/2023/07/26/tiktok-chinese-propaganda-ads-europe/

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/11/tiktok-china-us-elections-influence

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/11/china-is-using-tiktok-for-influence-campaigns-odni-says-00146336

Also, just think about it: The CCP loves spreading propaganda. There’s a massive social media platform controlled by China, which is used by young people in foreign adversary nations. Why wouldn’t they leverage this platform to spread their lies and influence people? It’s literally the perfect opportunity.

• HiT3k@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Wow. How predictable. Nothing you posted has anything to do with the Chinese government “literally directly controlling” TikTok, despite those being the exact words you chose and used.

Instead, you posted one story about TikTok in Europe running ads by the CCP, and two about the CCP using accounts on TikTok.

It’s a well known fact that the CCP runs accounts on Reddit and other socials. TikTok accepting and running ads from the CCP in Europe is a European problem. Could be addressed by updated regulations around ads, idk, I’m not European. Meta could run ads from the CCP or Russia in Europe, perhaps? Or maybe TikTok broke European advertising regulations. Still, has nothing to do with the USA.

So again, you people are repeating US intelligence propaganda about the Chinese government “owning and controlling” TikTok and then posting “proof” that proves nothing.

Try again?

• Railing5132@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

It’s painfully apparent you have a fundamental lack of understanding of how the CCP works in relation to companies in China. Or how they behave on the world stage outside of your ech chamber. If they operate in a critical sector, they are controlled by the CCP. I mean, you do accept that the CCP is an oppressive, authoritarian regime, right? If you don’t accept that, then we can’t carry on because you’re not in the same reality or arguing in bad faith.

And before the defense: “but they’re really capitalists” - yeah, so what? Errybody greedy. Still doesn’t change that the CCP is an authoritarian regime. I have the feeling that no matter what, you’re going to move the goalposts because, I dunno, America bad? (and yeah, we’ve got a lot to account for and I’m no 'merica cheerleader). And no amount of evidence will sway you.

May you have the day you deserve.

• Maggoty@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

That’s all platform agnostic. You think they didn’t have accounts and ads on every major service?